Help with a project decision - opinions required.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought a nice bit of maple:

c873_1.JPG

It measures 1m long by 400mm wide (in two book-matched boards) and 17mm thick. I was thinking of using it to make a kind of table/bookcase or a tall but narrow cabinet..

I don't really need either pieces of furniture in my home, but neither do I want to give this away, I like the wood too much (looks really nice in the flesh).

Any other idea's of a functional or purely good looking bit of furniture? Pics of anything interesting would be most grateful

So, what would YOU do with this?

I REALLY like the table idea - looks a smashing piece of wood. Or what about a mirror? That's what I make usually (to sell and for family and friends) and it would lend itself very nicely to that.

I'll note down a mirror - i'm usually not a fan of mirrors, (you wouldn't if you looked liked me!) but couldmake a nice gift - If I can bring myself to give it away :)

Cheers, fella's, keep the idea's coming.

I'm currently sketching out idea's on a sofa-table - the narrow long type that sits behind the sofa, I'm thinking of incorporating a shelf and some drawers.. but then i'm a little table obsessed at the moment, i'm undecided whether it would work as a table top or whether the cabinet option is more suitable to a book matched board..

This may be a crazy idea so ignore it if so, I guess it depends how you like "organic" furniture, can you not form a corner display bookcase, have the two boards left pretty much as is but with the long edges at 90 degrees to each other trying to keep as much of the large knot intact as possible and then have perhaps even glass shelves.

Anyway must dash for train so if it makes no sense I apologise

The cabinet option would only work if you used these pieces for the doors , the bookmatch would be lost on the sides of anything as you'd never see both sides at the same time .

Dom

Remember you said that you have never done a carved body guitar Byron?....

oooh - some real nice idea's here -- and how dare you Paul mention the 'K' word!! I do have a weakness for his small wall cabinets.. i must resist!!! (or not!)

Slim - that idea is also very very tempting! But, I have to be strong and pass on this one, I still have a grade A curly maple body to finish first, so this has got to be a piece of furniture - but I like your style!

Newbieblyth - I'm not massive fan of 'organic' stuff, BUT I do like the idea of a corner bookcase, it would be interest to incorporate glass, I think that would create a really nice look - fab idea!!

Dom - I agree totally, my initial thoughts were to either do a largish cabinet using both boards as a pair of doors, OR making a series of small wall cabinets, using the wood for say 3 or 4 smaller single doors, like this one:
IMG1802_md.jpg

IMG1804_md.jpg

Doing something like that would yield atleast 4 doors and numerous drawer fronts, I could then give a number of them away for xmas presents and keep one (to keep a bottle of southen comfort and my favourite homer simpson mug in).

So many fantastic idea's![/i]

Why not a piece of furniture for the workshop? Chris (Waterman37) built a very striking tool cabinet with flamed mahogany (which I cannot find now).

Alright yours would not be as big as that, but you could use it as a pair of long doors for an upright cabinet where you kept your planes on a few shelves and chisels underneath. Or as joint them together and use them for one long door, either upright or on its side.

No ok I'll get my coat :oops:

Cheers

Mike

Gooner Mike - That is an option, and a luxury tool cabinet for my finest hand tools is definitly on the cards, but SWMBO has forbidden me to work on anything workshop related for the rest of the year - she wants to see some productivity and some return on the investment: afterall i was supposed to take her on holiday this year, but bought el-rusto instead.. i'm on thin ice at the moment!

You could get round SHMBO with a cabinet like this, should give that new bench a good work out :wink:

Jason

Jason - that is quite an amazing piece of furniture, but I fear you are grossly over-estimating my abilities!! Maybe in a few years time, but it certainly is a gorgeous piece! Wonderful wood.

and I don't blame her either, I mean you have been spending a rather lot of time in the old workshop :lol:

Gooner hey :lol: 3-1 wow who said that :lol: :wink:

Good luck with what ever you decide to make, I must admit Jasons idea would be my choice.

Cheers

Mike

ByronBlack":622x73rs said:
... afterall i was supposed to take her on holiday this year, but bought el-rusto instead.. i'm on thin ice at the moment!

:shock: Blimey, I'm not surprised. You must have a charmed life to have gotten away with that one. In your shoes I'd be thinking up something Tracey would really really like 8-[ :wink:

If your kitchen revamp is still pending can't you incorporate the Maple into that somehow. .. a bit vague I know, sorry.

I'd avoid the boring old Krenov cliche in this case - it looks more anatomically organic than perhaps one would really want. Hint; think of "somewhere where the sun never shines" :lol:

cheers
Jacob

You two need to get out more :)

BB I hate to rain on your parade but you will probably need to make something organic as JasonB said because by the time you clean up,square off, there ain't gonna be much wood left

Dom

DomValente":2xnbapqx said:
You two need to get out more :)

BB I hate to rain on your parade but you will probably need to make something organic as JasonB said because by the time you clean up,square off, there ain't gonna be much wood left

Dom
It'd be squarer turned end to end and it would look less like a u no what, though it might look like 2 of them :lol:
No, joking apart - it's a nice bit of wood and I'm sure Byron will enjoy it whatever he does.

cheers
Jacob

Back