Help: Which Combination machine for a beginner?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonio-d

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning forum,

i wanted to ask you guys which combination machine would be best for a beginner?
i have had a quick scan about and found a myford 8 with attachments and the kity machines come up too.
i have limited funds so i don't want to spend more than £500-£700
I'm in no rush and would appreciate any advice on this.

thank you

Is there a particular reason that you want a combi? They are not as space saving as you would imagine because you need space around all sides, whereas separate machines can be wheeled to a suitable place when not in use. They are not as convenient either because you may have to discard settings on one machine to use the next, which ideally you would want to retain.

hi thank you for your reply.
i just wanted something all in one place i guess. if i'm honest i just fancy it.

Before you buy a combination machine think about what things you make and which functions you need
Do you relly need a spindle moulder function?
If you are mainly making using manmade boards then the planer thicknesser function is less relevent. Sheet material can often be easier to cut to size using a track saw or a good set of straight battens and a more basic hand held circular.
If you are working with solid timber do you want to buy rough sawn or PAR
Personally I would ditch the spindle moulder (on this level of machine) Focus on a decent planer thicknessser for about 2/3rds of your budget and get a good hand held circular and jigs to work with it'
If your budget recovers and you feel the need for more kit you can then look at a separate table or bandsaw
Ian

The combination machines are appealing, but not always as useful as they seem.

If you have time to wait for bargains. Maybe hunt dome a couple of good quality separate machines. What tools do you already have?

I echo the views of others - like the OP, I 'fancied' a combi, but now after a few years of one not turning up at the right price, and having bought many of the tools one would provide, I wouldn't want one. For example, a rather small circular saw and bed, compared to my table saw, a rather tiny planer, compared to my TPT125. And I'm sure the individual components cost less than a single Kity Combi...

I’ve got a Kity Bestcombi 2000 which you can get for your budget and which I’d recommend as a great bit of kit although mine required a bit of fettling when I first got it. I had a Kity Bestcombi/K5 before that which wasn’t nearly as capable in my personal opinion (although I know they have a legion of fans and are often a good bit cheaper).

I know that there’s always a lot of debate around the benefit of a combi versus separates. Both have advantages and disadvantages with it really coming down to personal preference. That said, if I was to upgrade again I think it would be to another combi as I like being able to neatly tuck it away in a corner of the garage when not in use.

David

The Kity K5 is a really versatile machine. With sharp blades it will cut 2” oak and thickness 4x2 oak no problem. It has its limitations like all machines but it’s a good starting point and you can probably pick a good one up for £400

Latest posts

Back