Help - urn size x6 persons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Brazier

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope you don’t mind me asking and it can be sensitive subject

I’ve Just got a message from a friend who has been tasked to transport x6 persons ashes to Scotland and he has asked me to make Sn urn for him to transport the ashes , we worked together for years so want to re him proud

He has told me it’s x4 ashes and x2 ashes and earth ( no other info )

I’ve not had a Chance to work out what size urn/box I need to make ( on train home ) so thought I would ask here and hope we come up with the same size

He is happy with Oak, not sealed as he is scattering the ashes and would be box like

Hope you can help me or offer some advice
Thanks
Graham

I had to collect ashes recently, and they are in a stout cardboard box around 10 x 8 x 6 inches. Quite heavy too.

I'd ask your friend for dimensions, especially for ashes and earth which could be any size.

The whole could be pretty heavy, so plan for stout handles.

When I put my Dads ashes in the ground 18 months ago, in a box my Mum bought!!, I'm still convinced they'd put some engineering bricks in it, weighed in at a least couple of kilos (he was 8 stone)

Hmm. I buried my Mum and my Dad’s ashes at the same time last year. My Mum’s were very much lighter than his.
But coincidentally I was asked to make a box for ashes and was given the required dimensions. It’s in progress and when I go back to the workshop I’ll collect the dimensions and let you know. I do know it is hard to get motivated into making a box you know will just get buried!

Hmm. I buried my Mum and my Dad’s ashes at the same time last year. My Mum’s were very much lighter than his.
But coincidentally I was asked to make a box for ashes and was given the required dimensions. It’s in progress and when I go back to the workshop I’ll collect the dimensions and let you know. I do know it is hard to get motivated into making a box you know will just get buried!

Thank you it’s most appreciated

A quick search got me a calculator that gives you the volume in cups or in cubic inches. You could either search for one at your end and get similar in metric amounts, or convert from this one. Urn Size Calculator: Find the Right Size Urn for Ashes

Are these ashes going to be mixed or kept in separate containers/bags in this urn?

Pete

The standard cardboard urn used by crematoria is the same as a full size bottle of whisky witht he ashes filling about 2/3 of the tube. So a box about the size of a case of whisky would be about right

A quick search got me a calculator that gives you the volume in cups or in cubic inches. You could either search for one at your end and get similar in metric amounts, or convert from this one. Urn Size Calculator: Find the Right Size Urn for Ashes

Are these ashes going to be mixed or kept in separate containers/bags in this urn?

Pete

Not 100% sure yet , I’ve asked my friend to find out , yes I found a calculator like you linked after i posted this thread so I will get my maths cap on and go from there if

Really appreciate all the comments

Hi Graham,
As promised. The dimensions I was given for this Ashes box was so that it would fit into a slot in the stonework where it will be buried.
It's internal dimensions are 6 3/4" X 4" X 9.25". In mm thats 170 X 100 X 235 which works out at a shade under 4 Litres.

Based on my Mum and Dad's ashes, I reckon this would have been overkill. The crematorium garden that specified the dimensions would be allowing for it to hold the max sizes possible, so six times that would probably leave space for a few more!

The box in the picture is not quite finished.

Stuart
Ash Box.jpg

Hi Graham,
As promised. The dimensions I was given for this Ashes box was so that it would fit into a slot in the stonework where it will be buried.
It's internal dimensions are 6 3/4" X 4" X 9.25". In mm thats 170 X 100 X 235 which works out at a shade under 4 Litres.

Based on my Mum and Dad's ashes, I reckon this would have been overkill. The crematorium garden that specified the dimensions would be allowing for it to hold the max sizes possible, so six times that would probably leave space for a few more!

The box in the picture is not quite finished.

StuartView attachment 155332

Brilliant thanks very much most appreciated

Back