Help please: email to yahoo bounces....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Odd, and I do not know where to start. Any email I send to yahoo bounces. All other domains seem fine (my own, and hotmail since those are all I can test). I can receive email fine. Any clues where to look to find if it is me?

I am using Linux Mint 13, Mozilla Firefox.

Any help gratefully received........

Phill

oh, and the gibberish: (I inserted 'mydomain' into email domain in case some automated software picks out my real domain and contaminates my email - I may be being over-paranoid though ;-)

Code:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <[email protected]>
Received: from host86-146-48-181.range86-146.btcentralplus.com ([86.146.48.181] helo=[192.168.1.66])
	by echo.dahostserver.net with esmtpsa (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
	(Exim 4.69)
	(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
	id 1VGDDS-0003ww-PP
	for [email protected]; Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:21:42 +0100
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:24:36 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130106 Thunderbird/17.0.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email protected]
Subject: test
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Seems like your smtp server is struggling with yahoo delivery - do you have any options to send mail through another server ?

If that yahoo address is your own, I can send a test to see if yahoo themselves are having issues

Thanks for the offer, but my wife can email me on the yahoo address - so there is no incoming problem. I can mail out to my work (their own domain), to myselv via my own domain. It seems that it is an outgoing interaction between my mail system and yahoo.co.uk. I think I am about to exceeding the bound of my competence.......

Ok, does your wife uses the same email configuration as you ?

Of interest is the outgoing or smtp server address as you won't be sending direct to yahoo, you will be sending through a bt server is assume looking at your header

dm65":1n2stcld said:
Ok, does your wife uses the same email configuration as you ?

Of interest is the outgoing or smtp server address as you won't be sending direct to yahoo, you will be sending through a bt server is assume looking at your header
We are both attached to the same router, through the landline to BT. I am not quite sure what happens next. I have my own domain and web host, and I am sending via my web host.

If I send using my BT internet as the outgoing server it works fine. (Only just thought of that - your question prodded me into thinking about that).

I notice that in my outgoing server settings I have two entries for my domain:
- mail.mydomain.co.uk (the default so probably using this?)
- smtp.mydomain.co.uk

Whereas for BT I have just smpt.btinternet.com.

Should I be using smtp.mydomain.co.uk instead of mail.mydomain.co.uk?

Wouldn't hurt to try smtp.domain in case there's a reverse lookup problem

I prefer to use whatever the primary mx record is for outgoing email - you can find what is configured for your domain by going to http://mxtoolbox.com and doing an mx lookup

dm65":2zi4pl3g said:
Wouldn't hurt to try smtp.domain in case there's a reverse lookup problem

I prefer to use whatever the primary mx record is for outgoing email - you can find what is configured for your domain by going to http://mxtoolbox.com and doing an mx lookup

Changed to the smpt.mydomain and it made no difference.

I looked at the mx tool, but did not understand what I was trying to do (yep, just left my competence zone;-) .

Phill :oops:

Just type your domain name in the box - just the domain name ie mydomain.co.uk

What you get back is preference, hostname, ip address etc - not that this really matters - we are drifting off :)

If you are using a desktop computer, you will be able to use the bt servers as you will be in their range of allowed ip's - so leave smtp.btinternet.com as the outgoing server, if its a lappy that you use on the road, you will have problems when out of he house

See if your wife has the same problem is she changes her outgoing address to mail.mydomain.co.uk - this will fail if the mail host is at fault - If so, have a word with your mail host tomorrow, if it works, then thunderbird is playing up on your pc

Have noticed you have twice put smpt instead of smtp. Have you entered it correctly in the outgoing mail section? And bt's usual outgoing is mail.btinternet.com and not smtp.btinternet.com

Phil

dm65":kqcr0mim said:
Just type your domain name in the box - just the domain name ie mydomain.co.uk
Did not work for me - maybe it requires windows OS? I even turned on cookies and enabled javascript, but all I got was empty boxes.
dm65":kqcr0mim said:
What you get back is preference, hostname, ip address etc - not that this really matters - we are drifting off :)

If you are using a desktop computer, you will be able to use the bt servers as you will be in their range of allowed ip's - so leave smtp.btinternet.com as the outgoing server, if its a lappy that you use on the road, you will have problems when out of he house

See if your wife has the same problem is she changes her outgoing address to mail.mydomain.co.uk - this will fail if the mail host is at fault - If so, have a word with your mail host tomorrow, if it works, then thunderbird is playing up on your pc

I have emailed my host.

I am not sure if my ignorance can cope with disentangling the various errors that I may get if I change my wifes outgoing smtp server settings. (And the consequences will be unpleasantly audible if I blocks up her machine). She uses Linux mint 13 but does her email via the web (rather than a mail client).

I can cope with emailing by bt, but it is a pain if anyone stores the bt email as they will not be my ISP for ever.....

Sheptonphil":x2pwsm5k said:
Have noticed you have twice put smpt instead of smtp. Have you entered it correctly in the outgoing mail section? And bt's usual outgoing is mail.btinternet.com and not smtp.btinternet.com

Phil

Ah, acronym dyslexia. Must learn to think 'simple mail transfer protocol' and not 'gobbledy gook acronymn' when I see smtp. :oops:

As for the choice of mail route to bt - I just used what Thunderbird guessed when I told it I was using bt. I can easy change to mail.btinternet.com if you reckon it a better option.

Sounds like yahoo may have taken a dislike to your personal server address(IP), we had similar problems when Yahoo kept blocking our personal server mail to Yahoo and BT(Yahoo) recipients.

I suspect it only takes a spam source or domain to be hosted on the same servers for yahoo to put a blanket block on.

All cleared for us when ownership of servers changed and new owners sorted things out.

CHJ":166pi1ez said:
Sounds like yahoo may have taken a dislike to your personal server address(IP), we had similar problems when Yahoo kept blocking our personal server mail to Yahoo and BT(Yahoo) recipients.

I suspect it only takes a spam source or domain to be hosted on the same servers for yahoo to put a blanket block on.

All cleared for us when ownership of servers changed and new owners sorted things out.

That would explain things. A pain, and not sure what I could do. Except change hosts.

I am off to bed now, thanks for the help so far, and I am still open to suggestions.

Phill

DrPhill":u75cyu3r said:
I have emailed my host.

I am not sure if my ignorance can cope with disentangling the various errors that I may get if I change my wifes outgoing smtp server settings. (And the consequences will be unpleasantly audible if I blocks up her machine). She uses Linux mint 13 but does her email via the web (rather than a mail client).
Understood, trust me, well and truly understood :wink:

DrPhill":u75cyu3r said:
I can cope with emailing by bt, but it is a pain if anyone stores the bt email as they will not be my ISP for ever.....
If you only changed the outgoing server address, then it won't matter if you change isp as your email address will still be [email protected]

:shock: I just had another look at the header you included - this means that it won't retry as the original failed - do you have the failure message from the first email ?

Frustrating thing for me was that both BT(yahoo) and Yahoo forums I frequent were quite happy to send me billing info and notification e-mails to the very addrerss they bounced, or in the case of BT(yahoo) just dumped.

CHJ":b9uv2m2a said:
Frustrating thing for me was that both BT(yahoo) and Yahoo forums I frequent were quite happy to send me billing info and notification e-mails to the very addrerss they bounced, or in the case of BT(yahoo) just dumped.
That's because you are relaying through them (using them as your outgoing server) and this communication gets checked - its not much fun when a major mail host gets itself blacklisted

When their own servers send out, this isn't checked as its internal and therefore trusted

dm65":3grjkl0n said:
DrPhill":3grjkl0n said:
I have emailed my host.

Understood, trust me, well and truly understood :wink:

DrPhill":3grjkl0n said:
If you only changed the outgoing server address, then it won't matter if you change isp as your email address will still be [email protected]
But does that not the caus my mail to be marked spam by some my clients, because the from address does not match the originating server? (I could be completely wrong here - limits of competence and so forth).
dm65":3grjkl0n said:
:shock: I just had another look at the header you included - this means that it won't retry as the original failed - do you have the failure message from the first email ?

The earliest response I have is almost identical word-for-word with the one I posted. If I am missing some part of the ePaper chase it could be configuration on my machine.

My earliest delivery failure notification says this at the top:
Code:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

I can always generate another if needed - that is the easy bit!

Hi Phil

Sorry for the delay, but I've just got home from work

I have just grabbed the following "Publish reverse DNS (PTR) records for your sending IPs. If there is no reverse DNS entry for your IP address, or if it looks like a dynamically-assigned IP instead of a static mail server, Yahoo! is more likely to downgrade its sending reputation." from http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con ... .uQok8.g--

This indicates incorrect setup or heightened security settings at yahoo's end

Did you get a response from your mail host as they are the ones who should setup these reverse lookup records for your domain

Have you had the domain for a long time and this has just started happening ? If so, then they have (yahoo) tweaked their settings

If you have just registered the domain and setup email, then you need those records creating

Who is your mail host ? - are they are a known mail host as they should already have this sort of stuff setup

DrPhill":2e1d8sy6 said:
But does that not the caus my mail to be marked spam by some my clients, because the from address does not match the originating server? (I could be completely wrong here - limits of competence and so forth).
No. As long as the email address or domain aren't blacklisted, it doesn't matter which server does the sending (as long as that server isn't blacklisted either)

Hope that doesn't just add to the confusion :)

ps pm your domain name to me so I can have a look for you

For anyone else out there, the domain in question (which will remain hidden) is listed on one of the internet blacklists - backscatterer.org to be precise

This happens all too often (and can happen for no discernible reason) so do a virus/malware check to ensure your pc is ok, then you can get yourself delisted at the following address - http://www.backscatterer.org/?target=test

The delisting should be free - DO NOT PAY FOR THIS SERVICE

Many thanks to Den for rooting out (sorry) the problem.

I have a murky idea of what is happening - I need to do some more research, but:
Some organisation monitors emails to its members (seems to be only yahoo addresses). If it detects some sort of irregularity in the emails it blacklists them for four weeks and charges them 85 euro to get unblacklisted sooner. It sounds like a good business model to me.

It is entirely possible that my email setup is incorrect - I have my own domain routing to a web host. I do not understand a tenth of what is going on.......

I will look into this when I get back from work.

Phill

Latest posts

Back