Help on choosing a floor standing pillar / pedestal / press drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac427

Reaction score
I am after a floor standing 3 phase drill. Apart from getting a 5/8" 16mm chuck, are there any more must have or even nice to have features i should look out for?

Are they the make of choice from the past?

I was looking at a new Axminster would a Meddings be superior generally speaking?

Them, and Fobco. The choice between new and used is largely personal circumstances. Used you're likely to get more tool for your money but unless you buy prerestored you will inevitably have fettling and TLC so it depends how comfortable you are with that.

Vintage machine tools are generally of more solid construction due to the liberal use of cast iron. They're also likely to remain usable for longer as more parts will be standard off the shelf parts. With more modern kit if you need new belts, brushes, bearings etc you are typically only supported by the manufacturer for as long as they continue to support them.

Of course buying new you have a warranty and support, particularly buying from somewhere like Axi, if it's not right they'll sort it out or take it back.

Any reason you're going for 3ph specifically? At only a 16mm chuck there are plenty of single phase machines with plenty of power. If I was going three phase I suspect I'd be looking at a nice Fobco 7/8 or 10/8 - 7/8" and 1.25" chucks respectively. On the other hand if you have 3 phase available used they are often very keenly priced, there isn't the demand in the hobby market and prices reflect that.

Them, and Fobco. The choice between new and used is largely personal circumstances. Used you're likely to get more tool for your money but unless you buy prerestored you will inevitably have fettling and TLC so it depends how comfortable you are with that.

Vintage machine tools are generally of more solid construction due to the liberal use of cast iron. They're also likely to remain usable for longer as more parts will be standard off the shelf parts. With more modern kit if you need new belts, brushes etc you are typically only supported by the manufacturer for as long as they continue to support them.

Of course buying new you have a warranty and support, particularly buying from somewhere like Axi, if it's not right they'll sort it out or take it back.

Any reason you're going for 3ph specifically? At only a 16mm chuck there are plenty of single phase machines with plenty of power. If I was going three phase I suspect I'd be looking at a nice Fobco 7/8 or 10/8 - 7/8" and 1.25" chucks respectively. On the other hand if you have 3 phase available used they are often very keenly priced, there isn't the demand in the hobby market and prices reflect that.
Thanks, the workshop i go to has a cheapo bench drill only but they do have a 3 phase supply.

I would rather go for an older make with a larger chuck models.

Are the motor and quill bushing the main wear points generally speaking?

I saw a drill guide mentioned on here in another post. Do you know were on the forum the guide is?

...I'd be looking at a nice Fobco 7/8 or 10/8 - 7/8" and 1.25" chucks respectively.

The 7/8 has a 2 Morse taper spindle and 7/8" is the largest common drill made on that taper. Similar logic applies to the 10/8 with a 3 Morse spindle for a 1 1/4" drill. Chucks or chuck capacity as such are not really relevant.

The 7/8 has a 2 Morse taper spindle and 7/8" is the largest common drill made on that taper. Similar logic applies to the 10/8 with a 3 Morse spindle for a 1 1/4" drill. Chucks or chuck capacity as such are not really relevant.
Cheers for the correction.

I sourced a 1ph Meddings at a collective sale of machinery. The chuck could do with changing but it's a beauty and powers spade bits, forstner bits and ordinary hss drills really well.
Great table and switch are both champion. The motor is very heavy duty and speed change easy to perform.
My biggest problem is keeping the area free of sawdust and swarf after using. Happy days.

If you are considering secondhand i have this available

Attachments

• 5BE3AEEA-E63B-49AF-B0CD-EB9AB016940B.jpeg
    5BE3AEEA-E63B-49AF-B0CD-EB9AB016940B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 507B0F4D-00A2-4195-A4CD-6CB7F76399AC.jpeg
    507B0F4D-00A2-4195-A4CD-6CB7F76399AC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • A1873637-E5A7-47D7-8A94-FCBFA760905A.jpeg
    A1873637-E5A7-47D7-8A94-FCBFA760905A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I also have a big Meddings, bought for £20 odd squids years ago.....
to replace it now would be over £1400 for something of similar quality.....but wont last as long....!!!!
U'ed prob get a decent used industrial machine for a couple of hundred now...
and at that size they all come with a Morse taper fitting...
plus if ur lucky they did make a lightweight milling machine that looked like a pillar drill.....often similar prices.....

the above drill from flh looks very handy and ready to go....

Meddings. I have two, built like tanks. The main thing is check the quill for wear, thats slop when you wind the quill in and out of the head housing. You can change all the other bearings etc; but the drill is scrap if the quill has play in it. Any old British or USA iron will be OK. I'd go for a Morse taper spindle. You can see one of mine working on this video Cheers.

Have to agree here, a second or third hand machine that was designed to be run in a factory over a 3 shift pattern is probably still better than something made to a price in China last week.
That Fobco looks great.

Ollie

There are quite a few big old Sealey/Draper floor standing machines about on a bay etc which aren't bad. The heavy duty ones have an adjustment for quill wear, not to be confused with some of their later machines which dont. I have a Sealey one, and it has been pretty good. You can tell the heavy duty version as it has a square table with rounded corners and a coolant catch gully round the side of a central flat machined surface. The lighter versions have a round table. They haven't made the big ones for twenty years or more. But have to agree if you can find a Meddings or similar they are much better, and will outlive you If properly maintained.

Thanks, the workshop i go to has a cheapo bench drill only but they do have a 3 phase supply.

I would rather go for an older make with a larger chuck models.

Are the motor and quill bushing the main wear points generally speaking?

I saw a drill guide mentioned on here in another post. Do you know were on the forum the guide is?
Check the quill for wear. Try to wobble it (swing on it) when fully retracted then wind it down/out fully out and do the same.
You can expect a small or no amount of play being a second hand machine but not ridiculously sloppy.
Motors are easily replaced, or use a VFD these days. This is one of my Meddings drills.

Back