Help newbie record DML 24x

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybigfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have just acquired a record DML 24x lathe year 96. It runs a treat but for some reason when I put a piece of wood on it, the centre gets hot when the wood spins on it and doesn't rotate. If I loosen it it still won't turn the centre but the wood still goes.
Can anyone help? I've had it Appare and cleaned it all
Jim
e21c8449ba29229597f06ea0eb0507a2.jpg
b2886870cce865d503cac9476f779220.jpg
2579722158cb139545cf3f9d3eee75f2.jpg

You can put a spot of oil or wax in the indent and not do the tailstock up too tightly, this will help but they always run a little warm. They have their uses - you don't damage your tools running into them - but for long running and lack of marking/burning running centres (live centres) are better. They are not that expensive, though the better ones with better bearings (often more accurate for metal turning) tend to be more.

Hi Jimmy,
You would be better off getting a live centre, which has a bearing in it to allow the business end to rotate.

The dead centre in your photo can be used at a push, with adequate lubrication to allow the wood to spin but generally they are used just as a drive centre in the headstock.

Either type of centre should not spin in the taper on the tailstock (or headstock).

In there day the old dead centre was used with a high melting point grease but as said you would be better of getting a live centre

Back