Help needed with woodturning project research

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Holtham

Established Member
Reaction score
Although this is a turning related query I hope it is posted in the right section as it is the non turners I need to address.

I am doing a little research for a DVD, where I have to show the making of a spindle turning project and a faceplate project for absolute beginners, people who have no experience of turning, but have just bought their first lathe.

If you were a complete newbie to turning what project would you most like to make bearing in mind that you only have a small lathe and basic tools?

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Cheers,

Alan :D

I suspect a total newbie would want it to be as simple as possible, perhaps a stair spindle with a quirk just to keep it interesting.

Dom

The first real turning project I did (apart from messing around with scrap pieces of wood) was a simple pen kit.

The first thing I turned was a candlestick holder.(At the time,making a square piece of timber into a round one seemed like a major achievement in itself,without making it into something as well..)

Andrew

I went to evening classes for wood turning and the first project we made was a rolling pin. Good for learning how to cut parallel to the rest and some curves at the end.

If I were to buy a lathe, it would more than likely be to make round components for use in other projects, rather than for wood turning as an end in itself. Typical components I would envisage making would be round legs for tables, knobs for doors and drawers and tool handles (eg for chisels).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Alan,

I think it would need to be something that has a purpose, and also a one off so that there is no need to worry about trying to reproduce an exact shape again. I'd tend towards a candlestick holder or perhaps a lamp stand, although as Paul said round parts for a furniture project (a set of turned coffee table legs?) would probably appeal to many. I know that I was delighted the first (and so far only) time I managed to incorporate some turning into a piece of furniture.

Cheers,

Dod

Hi Alan,
I started turning less than a year ago and the first real project for me was a candle stick which was supposed to be a copy of the tutors original.
To copy a piece proved quite difficult. Eye to hand coordination is easy for some but not all.
I appreciated the basics being drummed into me: look at the top of the piece not the blade, bevel contact is so easy for a novice to forget but so very important, a vice like grip is natural for beginners and yet should be avoided, What height should the toolrest be for each tool and why, forming a uniform bead is not as easy as it appears, the importance of stance and body movement is very important, which tool and why, use the skew from outset and don't be afraid of it, take the mystery out of fingernail grinds, when and how to sharpen a tool, safety equipment without going overboard, tools and equipment not to buy. Finally, to show some catches and dig ins actually happening, cause and cure would be helpful for novices.
I still make all of the above mistakes and more and have a long way to go but i'm fortunate in that I belong to a club with many experienced turners who are all very patient and very helpful.
beejay

On the course i did at the local evening school the first thing we made was a carrier bag holder. Just a crowned centre part with a bead at each end to stop the bag handles sliding off. Small, simple for a beginner and actually quite useful.

John

First thing we made at uni had no purpose, but could have with a little work become a candle stick.

I remember though we had to get certain things into it(not sure of correct terms)

- an even diameter section
- curves going in and out
- a loose doughnut
etc,etc

Doing the doughnut was fun as a beginner!

I've just bought a lathe and I've been making dibbers for practice from scrap oak, I've already sold 3 :lol:

dibbers.jpg

Oddly I was watching Norm's 'Lathe 101' yesterday. One of his first projects was a baseball bat. Probably doesn't appeal to the UK market, but i'd love to make one.

I think knobs/legs etc would be a good choice, as I would imagine a lot of people getting into wood turning maybe coming from a related woodwork background.

But even very simple things like how to prepare the chisels/gouges, safety aspects, and how to select wood for a project would be of interest.

hi alan, you can come up to barnsley and show me anything, cos all i have done is pens, and i am not very confident about bowls etc... :lol:

Hi,

My first projects were a carving mallet and simple natural edge dish made from a burr.

If you want functional items that go together though how about a pestle and mortar?

A bowl would be my choice, although my first turning was an "acorn" finial thingy to go on the top of my bird table. :oops:

Back