Help needed with the fixing of a fire surround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Welsh Workshop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been commissioned to produce an Oak fire surround.
I am not sure of what method of fixing I should use as I do not want anything to be visible.

Does anyone have any experience of this and any possible solutions???

Thanks for your help, Matthew.

cut a piece of 2x2 about 300mm long cut it in half with a mitre ( you need two of these) screw one half to the wall the other to the surround will hold it tight against wall hope this makes sense :?

The standard method is to use a mirror bracked sort of plate to the sides which can be set in the plaster. Also for added safety a bevelled wooden hook on the top to support and pull it in tight - I cant drawit as this site doesnt appear to support jpeg uploads.

lugo35":9qq6hyil said:
cut a piece of 2x2 about 300mm long cut it in half with a mitre ( you need two of these) screw one half to the wall the other to the surround will hold it tight against wall hope this makes sense :?

This is traditionally known as a French Cleat and if you want a clearer explanation Google it for diagrams. no offence Lugo but I couldn't explain it either.
Its usually used for hanging cabinets so I'm not sure how it would work unless the under mantle was hollow and the walls very flat.
Johnemtees' method is as he says the standard.

the correct way to fit a wooden mantle is to use mirror brackets two on the sides and two on the mantle and let them into the plaster you should also let the surround in by about 6mm so that any smoke dose not escape from the sides.

Woodbutcher.

BP200%20Plate%20C.jpg

For anyone in any doubt, look here :lol:

Scrit

Aha!
I have used a French Cleat when building my workshop cabinets, so I understand how they work.
The wall has been plastered, but it is not very good. Letting the surround into the plaster will work with that.
I was thinking that I would have to scribe it in, but with the plaster being so bad it would all need doing...not nice!
Thanks ever so much for the advice.
Cheers Matthew.

Thanks for that Alf, I was using the wrong link not the img link.
My pic in the lathe section is now visible - Hoorah!

Back