Help needed with new lathe!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to this site, I have been wood turning for a year or so and have just purchased a new (old) lathe, it's a draper WTl 90. After getting it home I have noticed the split variable speed pulley on the motor has previously split and been repaired with a bracket. However I'm wanting to replace this, I'm aware draper no longer make the parts and I hoped there was another source, I read a post saying Axminster used to do them but that was over a year ago, does any body have an idea or know if these parts are still available anywhere?

That machine does look very similar to the Axminster variation of that machine. You will probably have to replace the pair of pulleys. A phone call to Axminster will give you the answer.

Wow, fast reply. Will give them a call tomorrow. Im happy replacing both halves in fact the lathe runs fine ATM, but would like them just incase as there clearly has already been an issue previously.

I recently got one from axminster for my sip lathe which looks more or less the same as yours. It's not on their website you'll need to give them a call. You will need a pully extracting tool to get the old one off its a very tight fit

Thanks wood monkey, may I ask how much they were roughly? And was it the pulley that comes in two halves?
I've not had to replace one before was it difficult?

Can't remember exactly I think around £20 ish. Yes it comes as a pair. It's a simple enough procedure, you need some needle nosed pliers to get the little clip off the end of the spindle. One of the pulleys will be fixed with a small grub screw so remove that then you should be able to slide them off. I replaced the ones on the headstock spindle which was slightly different, but you'll work it out. Let me know if you get stuck

Woodmonkey":lv25rbci said:
Can't remember exactly I think around £20 ish. Yes it comes as a pair. It's a simple enough procedure, you need some needle nosed pliers to get the little clip off the end of the spindle. One of the pulleys will be fixed with a small grub screw so remove that then you should be able to slide them off. I replaced the ones on the headstock spindle which was slightly different, but you'll work it out. Let me know if you get stuck

Thanks, I shall do.

I have just got off the phone from draper who can still get the parts, apparently the motor pulley and spindle pulleys are used in the newer models too. I wanted to change the motor and spindle pulleys however I was told to change the spindle pulley may require me to replace 15 other parts, due to a change over they made mid production. I gave him my serial number and would you believe it ..... Mine falls between the date so could be either bloody type. At least I can get the broken pulleys replaced, was quoted £136 for both pulleys, gearing and bearings levers clips etc. so I think I'll replace the cheaper broken motor pulley only and fix the headstock as required in the future!!!

Back