Help needed on Workshop update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

South

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I need some help with my man cave!
Could someone please advise on the best way to insulate a single skin garage and how. My current idea entails replacing an ill fitting side door with one that doesn't leak, replacing the garage door also with one that fits without a 1cm gap on the sides and an 1inch plus gap at the bottom. For the roof just installing some roof insulation and boarding off with ply ( unsure of thickness ). For the walls putting on a waterproof membrain then an insulated plaster board like gyproc thermal line. Although other than the garage doors I'm not sure of the best way of doing any of the above for instance how and what kind of a gap if any, do I leave in the roof Insulation for air flow, and for the walls how to instal the membrain/ liner and then follow that with mechanically fixing the gyproc? All with loosing the minimal amount of lost width within the cave. I'm sure there are very simply solutions for the people in the know however I'm not one of those people lol. Any suggestions or alternative greatly and appreciatively received.
Many thanks
South.

I would suggest 2 x 2 timbers for stud walls, infilled with 50mm insulation as a minimum. 12mm ply screwed to the timbers. Depending on the depth of the roof timbers? A minimum of 75mm insulation with a 25mm air gap. 6mm ply should be ok for the ceiling especially if you put noggins between the joists for the edges of the boards.

You could always make / fit a timber threshold strip for under the door to close the gap. Then if it an up an over door? Maybe add timbers to the sides ( to create a door jamb) for the door to close against with some rubber draught strips applied to the timbers. :)

Is this a single skin brick garage or a pre-fab?

Is the floor dry?

Is there any damp?

Normally half way down the walls there is a pier that sticks out. Can you baton between the piers, insulate and the board over?

The roof should be easier. Infill between the joists and board over.

Any waterproof me brain should go on the warm side.

Good luck

Mick

It's a single skin brick or concrete block at least. The floors dry other than where water comes in through an ill fitted side door and an ill fitted garage hence the need to replace both doors. The garage door must be forty years old or fitted by some bodge it and scarper merchant
Regards south

Back