help needed - blocked waste pipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just waiting for SWMBO to return from the local DIY shed with Caustic Soda and One Shot to try those, before pipe surgery.

Did try several kettles of boiling water last night - poured down both access points (sink waste and washing machine drain point). I think it helped a bit but water drainage still very sluggish. However, it did enable me to feel the pipes heat up quickly up to that corner joint so I'm pretty sure that's where the blockage remains.

Agreed, it's most likely fat and/or crusty detergent (from washing machine) plus usual food waste giving it 'bulk'.

All thoughts/suggestions gratefully received - will post an update upon developments.

P.S. Just seen griggs post. Yes, w/m leg drains fine (especially since I've thoroughly cleaned it out) and yes, sink trap is blockage free - it's definitely the main waste pipe.

Be careful of the chemicals on any metalwork - I stripped the chrome finish off our sink plug hole with stuff I used!!

Rid

Well, SWMBO returned armed with just Caustic Soda - all shops tried had sold out of One Shot.

Tried 50g per 1 litre down sink waste pipe (i.e. trap removed) and then immediately realised I'd misread instructions - should be 100g/litre for unblocking. Mixed up a 100g in 0.5l and poured that down on top! Then poured another 10% mixture down the washing machine pipe. Latter flowed away smoothly. Waited 30+ mins and as sink trap etc removed decided I may as well try another 10% solution before reassembly and testing. Did so, down both pipes. Waited 40 mins. Still blocked :evil:

Water is draining away slowly. Ironically, I guess that may make it more difficult for any chemicals to work - they just seep past the blockage.

The depth of the kitchen units (and my arm length) plus restricted space means it would be very difficult to work on the pipes between the sink and exit point (through wall) - whether that's cutting for an access point or complete removal. Consequently, it looks like I'll need to cut the pipe just outside and fiddle about with a coat hanger or similar to try to fish out the blockage - then repair the pipe as previously suggested. What a pain.

Ah well, I like a challenge - not sure this is one I wanted at this time though :cry:

The many suggestions are appreciated.

Flynnwood":3holhyh8 said:
If water is draining away now (albeit slowly) try more boiling water.

You could also try one of these (or similar). They are about 5mm thick and generally work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-60973-Dr ... +unblocker

Yes, zeddedhead posted earlier with a similar 'rotating snake' tool. Perhaps I should try one - I'm only hesitant because there's a sharp right angle bend (from vertical pipe from sink, then right turn to horizontal run along the wall) it would have to negotiate and only after it had got through another right angle bend and two off-set bends....seems a lot to expect of a flexible wire with a corkscrew point. Anyone tried one with similar pipe turns?

I've used them before with mixed results, to be honest I'd flood the sink and pipes and plunge it for 10 min or so before going straight for that outside pipe.
Make sure the overflow is blocked off and if there is little or no resistance in the plunging then it's likely too much water is passing the blockage or its escaping via the washing machine outlet.

But then when i do these i'm on the clock so i wouldn't expect people to pay me while i wait for a cleaner to work.

One shot is the only stuff i'd ever use but it's really more of a cleaner to use after than an unblocker to shift stuff.

Use a slip coupling (compression) to repair the straight section and you'll be done in 10 mins.

Water-Mark":1glph1yg said:
Use a slip coupling (compression) to repair the straight section and you'll be done in 10 mins.
Like this one? From a quick search it seems 50mm couplings aren't commonly avaiable.

I've fed a plumber's snake round two 90 degree bends - but they weren't full of congealed fat! It might well work though, and a snake is really handy for other blockages later and pretty cheap.

Mike, you haven't said what type of plunger you are using.
I used a Mangers Hydro Pump on a blockage and found its push-pull action worked almost straight away, having first tried the rubber bell type of plunger which proved totally ineffective.

Hydro-Pump.jpg

Double-action.jpg

I don't know if the Toolstation item below has the same push-pull action, but it looks as though it might.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93465

Jack

Attachments

• Hydro-Pump.jpg
    Hydro-Pump.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 490
  • Double-action.jpg
    Double-action.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 486
Mike.S":ixvemkys said:
Water-Mark":ixvemkys said:
Like this one? From a quick search it seems 50mm couplings aren't commonly avaiable.

More like this

http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/mc ... 2445-p.asp

These are slipped over the cut pipe in their entirety then slid over the cut once the two halves are
re aligned.

Doing it this way means you can open it again should you need to.

profchris":1hf1ts0l said:
I've fed a plumber's snake round two 90 degree bends - but they weren't full of congealed fat! It might well work though, and a snake is really handy for other blockages later and pretty cheap.

Jack (W)":1hf1ts0l said:
Mike, you haven't said what type of plunger you are using.
I used a Mangers Hydro Pump on a blockage and found its push-pull action worked almost straight away, having first tried the rubber bell type of plunger which proved totally ineffective.

Jack

Noted (and thank you Water-mark for the link).

I used the traditional 'bell type', having filled the sinks to overflowing to ensure a 'hydraulic' action when plunging.

So, if I add a Hydro Pump to a 'snake' on my shopping list (neither seems very expensive) and try those first I may yet escape having to attack the pipes :idea: I'll also be well equipped to be the local waste pipe unblocker when we eventually move house :lol:

Hi Mike
For what it will cost I would replace the lot so you have nice clean pipes again as well as fitting access elbows.

Once a month I put a caustic soda solution down all the traps (sink, shower, basins and washing machine), leave for 20 minutes and flush through with hot water. We also keep a glass jar in the kitchen for emptying fat from the frying pan so we have very little fat or grease going into the drains.

Good luck and hope it gets solved soon but you are now well stocked for brushes :lol:

Regards Keith

You need to block the overflow completely, place your hand something rubber like half a tennis ball.

I've tried various blaster type plungers but none work as well as a traditional type imo.

Worth putting a strong solution of caustic soda down tonight and just leave it to work overnight , nothing to loose trying this .

I would re-plumb the exterior waste to fix the problem and give you an access point for the next time it happens.

Some (not all) solvent joints can be persuaded to pull apart with the application of a heat gun on the glued joint, it's hit and miss but has saved me on a few occasions. Be careful to heat the fitting not the bare pipe, if this fails cut through the middle of the fitting and use a combination of heat gun/pliers/saw to gradually break off the bit of fitting that's on the pipe work. This has often saved enough pipe to be able to get a new fitting on it instead of having to rip a load of pipe out and start from scratch.

Hth

:!: UPDATE :!:

My new toys arrived yesterday - a plunger and snake. Amazon service slipping - ordered last weekend (all Amazon items, no 3rd parties) and didn't arrive 'til Friday. Seems they're determined that I sign up for their Prime service. Ha. Anyway, here's the new plunger, next to the traditional one I had been using:
IMG_3193_sc.jpg

For those wondering - they're Silverline brand; like Festool but subtly different :)

Also, with recollections of forumites encouraging me to check that overflows etc had been blocked I re-examined the scene of the washing machine pipe:
IMG_3192_sc.jpg

This weekend, but not last, it's clear that only the w/m pipe had been blocked off (by my son - not his fault though; he did as I instructed :oops: ) ). Note that there's another small in/outlet at the top for the Tumble Dryer to drain. With SWMBO blocking the main sink, son blocking the w/m and t/d pipe (took the trap off, so only the grey waste pipe to block) I took the giant blue plunger, ignored the Health & Safety badges requiring that I wear gloves, goggles and hearing protection and positioning myself above the neighbouring sink bowl....... plunged...and pulled...and plunged.

Water squirted everywhere but blockage gone. Yes, water gurgling away down the pipes. Mission accomplished. Well, almost. Seems some crud had entered the w/m waste pipe and blocked that (it had been clear). Decided to throw the kitchen sink at it (oh dear #-o ) - last of caustic soda, then boiling water, then snake (actually read the instructions and followed them - it worked, going round 90º bend) and voila, all is clear and flowing.

So many, many thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. =D> I am now a fully qualified and experienced waste pipe unblocker.

Attachments

• IMG_3193_sc.jpg
    IMG_3193_sc.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_3192_sc.jpg
    IMG_3192_sc.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 573
Excellent news.

Seeing your arsenal of new anti-blockage weapons made me think of American Military tactics - shock and awe.

Your blockage didn't stand a chance.

Woodchips2":tic0s9i2 said:
Hi Mike
For what it will cost I would replace the lot so you have nice clean pipes again as well as fitting access elbows.

Once a month I put a caustic soda solution down all the traps (sink, shower, basins and washing machine), leave for 20 minutes and flush through with hot water. We also keep a glass jar in the kitchen for emptying fat from the frying pan so we have very little fat or grease going into the drains.

Good luck and hope it gets solved soon but you are now well stocked for brushes :lol:

Regards Keith

Thanks for the caustic soda suggestion. We have a double-sink and one of them was a bit of a slow-drainer. Got some caustic soda off eBay and, not being sure whether or not to dilute them first, simply poured a load down each plughole. Which promptly blocked! So boiling water from the kettle and carefully poured some down sink number 1. My own little Vesuvius....great fun. Make sure you are wearing safety-glasses. The amount of crud that effervesced up into the sink, then a sloosh and away it all went. Sink number 2 remained blocked. More boiled water and this time Krakatoa! Brilliant. Very spectacular...who needs fireworks.

Both flowing sweetly. Great idea, thanks. :eek:ccasion5:

Did remind me of a restaurant in San Francisco that lit itself with about 200 tea lights. They'd light them by lining them all up on the counter and using a blowtorch. The mentioned that they would clean them out by sticking them in the dishwasher. Then refill them with new wax. That is until Environmental Health came round to tell them to desist or else as the sewer beneath had its bore blocked with candle wax.

RogerS":hnk5jh51 said:
Got some caustic soda off eBay and, not being sure whether or not to dilute them first, simply poured a load down each plughole. Which promptly blocked! So boiling water from the kettle and carefully poured some down sink number 1. My own little Vesuvius....great fun. Make sure you are wearing safety-glasses. The amount of crud that effervesced up into the sink, then a sloosh and away it all went. Sink number 2 remained blocked. More boiled water and this time Krakatoa! Brilliant. Very spectacular...who needs fireworks.

Roger

Be careful with that procedure. By adding boiling water to caustic any splashes will be very concentrated (and hot - exothermic reaction?). Instructions on mine say to add caustic soda to cold water at 100g per litre then pour that down the plug hole. After 20-30 minutes you can wash it all away - with hot or cold water.

Mike

Back