Help - need to get sticky backing off facings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago when my son was born, to keep light out his room to help him sleep, we used a Velcro blind that we stuck onto Velcro strips (hooks) that were stuck onto the facings around his window.

A good solution at the time as here in Shetland during the summer, it never gets dark!!!

The thing is not used now, so I removed the sticky Velcro strips off the facings. Well the strips came off, but the gum/glue backing didn't.

What an absolute nightmare to try and get off. I've tried everything I could think off: White spirit, nail varnish remover etc etc. All failed to dissolve the gum.

Any idea guys? I thought about nitromors! And then a little varnish. Horrible stuff though.

Thanks

Jonny

Tried WD40? Meant to be a very good adhesive releasant.

This is what I used to remove the mess left An over exuberant Policeman decided 'Er indoors drivers window was"Tinted" too dark, without a light meter, and after I'd got the MOT Man to check it over with his, for this very reason.
Link below, It may "Chip" off when dry, or, as mentioned a softener is better.
Regards Rodders

http://www.toolandfix.com/stanley-0-28- ... Avf88P8HAQ

I use coconut oil to get gum residue off LP sleeves from old stickers...might be worth a go?

Also heat from a hairdryer to soften it will often help.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Will try all of the above.

Thanks again. Really appreciated.

Jonny

Latest posts

Back