Help me identify my headstock thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterSk

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so the Clarke lathe is in my shop in all it's blueness, so today I went down to Toolpost in Didcot to get myself a chuck so I can start turning with a vengance.

I measured the thread before I went, and using my relatively accurate calipers it came out at 18mm, so I figured that 18mm is close enough to 3/4" that the difference was probably in the calipers.

However a 3/4" 16tpi chuck doesn't fit. Careful counting has revealed 6 teeth in 1/2" of measurable thread, so overall 12tpi.

Does this sound like a standard fitting anyone recognises? I've delved into the engineering charts but they aren't really much use, as I can't measure the threads down to thousands of a millimetre

M18x 2.0 is a standard metric fine thread so that would give you close to your measured pitch. 6 teeth within 1/2" could well be more than 12tpi, you need to measure from crest to crest or root to root.

Machine Mart seem to list all but one lathe with 3/4x16UNC, the other is larger?

Jason

FWIW - I would agree with Jason - to my knowledge the lathes stocked presently by Machine Mart take 3/4" 16 tpi - just a few days ago I happened to have such a nut with me in Machine Mart and it fitted their head thread.

Dave

This lathe is of unknown provenance, there is an instruction manual with it but it doesn't list important things like thread sizes, merely focuses on a 101 guide to turning.

A lot of head scratching and even more careful measurement with a steel rule and I now reckon its a M18 coarse thread, 2.5mm between threads. Anyone know where I can get an M18 to M33 adapter?

Model number is a very good question. It looks identical to the CWL6B, however it has no identifying markings on it that I can find. The only details on it are the specs of the motor inside.

I've already scoured the net looking for answers, and no-one really seems to admit to the existence of my model. All the Clarke documents I've found online say it should be a 3/4 16tpi thread, however this is clearly not true.

Anyway I've made the decision to get rid of this heap of junk and buy a proper lathe...

Latest posts

Back