Help me before the sparks start to fly...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody Alan":2cd5wssy said:
I bought the abridged regs book but even then it's misleading as it talks about a seperate earth for outbuildings, but this is very dependant upon the type of supply you have, neutral bonded earth or sheath bonded etc.

Spot on...and if you ever have a discussion with electricians on secondary bonding of pipes...well, be prepared for a different answer from each one !

bloody hell youve all scared the hell out of me!

jyates":owdhq6h7 said:
Not sure where in Surrey you are Adam, but I think there are variations between local councils. When I questioned why I had to pay £200 to get permission to do a job that they couldn’t stop me doing anyway, the CBO’s answer was very short, so I changed my line of questioning. £200 for what if it doesn’t include inspection and testing costs sounds a little steep…

Jon

True, but not the fees. As far as I know these are aligned across Surrey. I checked your concil and looked at the fees chart. If you look at the bottom of the fees sheet, for building notices for works under £2000 (and lets be honest, its not going to be even close to that), so the fee is £117.50. The £117.50 is exactly too pay for the cost of inspection. For example, the reason I submitted my notice was I was knocking through a wall. So they came and inspected, before (to see what was underneath), during to see I had put the beam in, and after, so see it was plasterboarded over. I also had the addition of circuits to the workshop on the form, and they were still happy the total works was under £2000. Hnece the £117. So if you are only doing a bit of wiring, I can't possibly see where his numbers are coming from. For me, I'm using the loophole of them bringing electric under Building Control, to pay for a "free" electrician to come out and test, veirfy and signoff my work. I'm fully confident in it, and wired the workshop at the previous house, (before Part P), but if they insist I pay to register the works, I'll insist on having my signoff done and tested by a qualified electrician.

Adam

The fee scale is set down in regulations issued by central govt, so is identical wherever you are in England (and probably Wales).

Actually, Building Controls have to set their own fees. They are also in competition with Approved Inspectors so the fees must be competitive and, in the case of local authority Building Controls, they are only allowed to cover their own costs. Hence, there is variation in fees around the country.
Cheers.

SF

I stand (thoroughly) corrected.

There's a framework which says that the charges set must cover the costs of inspection etc and no more over a three year rolling period, but the charges do vary.

Sorry, Jake.
Did I really sound that bad?

It might be worth noting, for all those folks building workshops and doing electrical work, that this business of the local authority paying the bill is bound to be a short term thing. This is just another example of how badly Part P was thought through (or not)! This is a "loophole" that is bound to be closed eventually.
So get started on your electrical projects now before the government realises they have cocked it up big time.
For what it's worth the Building Control I advise does not try to charge the customer for an inspection following DIY work. It should just be a fee, based on the value of the work, which would have been paid already when the application was lodged.
Cheers.

SF

Shadowfax":ujcar29k said:
Sorry, Jake.
Did I really sound that bad

You didn't sound bad at all - I was just talking out of my not-so-sunny place.

Have a look at the government's leaflet "New rules for electrical safty in the home" and in particular the paragraph "What will happen if I do not follow the Building Regulations".

* The electrical installation might not be safe.
* You will have no record of the work done.
* You may have difficulty selling your home if you do not have the right electrical safety certificates.
* Your local authority’s Building Control Department may insist you put right faulty work.

It's up to you to decide if the risk is worth £200.

Cheers Stoday, but you missed my point.

Me spending £200 is not the issue, but spending £200 for what amounts to nothing is an issue. I could spend that £200 upgrading my install in the interest of safety (in fact, I already have and a good deal more).

The point is that the BCO seems to have basically lied to me to make me go down the route that suits him and not me (Adam has proved this beyond doubt). Part P has done it's job because it's got us all talking about and paying increased attention to the issue of electrical safety, but it'll fall flat on it's ar5e if the BCO's make too painfull. It was always my intention to get a Sparky to produce me a design and to take care of the connection to my house CU and final saftey check. But I want to install my sockets, conduit, lights and so on myself. The BCO basically said I couldn't, but I feel I'm competent enough to do it correctly. Then he sealed it by telling me I need to pay additional costs for the inspection.

One very well qualified forum member PM'd me to advise me on my SWA and he convinced me immediately. A subsequent chat with a 'qualified electrician' resulted in him telling me a lower grade cable would do, but my impression was that this was purely because he has the lower grade cable in his van and was nothing to do with doing a proper safe job.

The issues relating to selling your house following notifiable electrical work are identical to not being able to present a FENSA certificate for a new window installation. It doesn't mean the work doesn't comply, it simply means it need to be inspected and signed off retrospectively.

Thanks for your feedback, it's always good to get a range of opinions.

Hi all
I had a conservation with a work colleague who is closely involved with the certification of electricians for Part P. He confirmed that the council cannot make an additional charge for the inspection but he added that the latest ploy was to give distant appointment dates and say that work cannot progress to close walls or otherwise conceal cables.
Regards
Soapy

jyates":38bojb8p said:
Cheers Stoday, but you missed my point.

I was trying to point out that if you just do it, without notification, the leaflet suggests that the worst penalty you can expect amounts to less than a tap on the wrist.

The real objective of part P is to curb the cowboys rather than DIY, but the regulation has to include both. You can see how the cowboy can be caught but it's difficult to see who is going to spill the beans on the DIY householder.

I think you will find the following information helpful.

If there is no planning permission or the project does not require building reg's.

Do the project and on completion get the electrical installation inspected. If you have done it yourself or a spark not qualified to sign it off, the certificate will state

!st & 2nd fix by Third party.

The inspector will then test everything about the installation, correct wire size, earth bonding, trip time with fault etc,etc,etc, right back to the supply from the house including earth bonding in the board etc,etc,

If everything is OK you will then be issued with a certificate with all the results (bit like a major MOT) and the inspector will then notify the local council with the report.

They should then write to you and also issue another certificate from the council.

Phew :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D

Les

Latest posts

Back