Help! How to get my Startrite home?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan-K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya guys, I'm having a bit of a panic here!

I had a moment of madness late saturday night and decided to have a flutter on the e-bay..... I remember when I asked about getting another band-saw that Startrites were highly commended. Saw a 24" throat one up for grabs, single phase, good working order......chucked down the £200 start bid, certain that the Sunday trawlers would put in something a bit less derisory....anyhow to cut to the chase I now have a very heavy bandsaw to somehow get the 20 miles from Hastings to home.

But how?!! :oops:

I was hoping you guys, some with experience of shifting proper heavy machinery, could give me some advice on my predicament. I have till the 10th to collect and I'm thinking it probably needs to be Saturday (tho I was kinda interested in the Staplehurst bash on the 6th too so it clashes horribly :( ... )

I'm thinking some sort of van hire (maybe I need a crane i dunno), but I have no experience of this sort of moving....advice please?! :shock:

Thanks guys :)

It's only down the road! What about a Man and Van service. That's how we got my lathe delivered. Me and my Dad were both on hand to help, plus Blister. But the guy insisted on doing all the work. Cost about £60 IIRC.

Oh and you're not getting out of the bash that easily!

lol, cheers wizer.

wheres the best place to look for one of these man and van operations?

i guess the advantage of that is i get a pair of hands as well as transport - bloke said he doesnt know the weight but 'not more than half a ton' :shock: its gonna take a few people to shift it by the sounds of it!

does anyone have any more info on a Startrite 24-5-5? I've found out it has 24" throat, 7" clearance, 5 speeds, but I doubt it comes with a manual :wink: Any accurate ideas on weight?

Trade directory of the staplehurst website has a Mick Wiles man with van service and contact details. Hope you make the bash!

How big ( size wise )

How heavy ?

Is it on a mobile platform ?

Is it easy to get at ? or at the bottom of a wet garden

I have a 1 tone pallet truck I used to move a VB36 :lol:

You can use that if it helps but would need to collect it from Dagenham and return after use

Most things look BIG but with some beef behind it it will move :lol: :wink:

You might find one on Ebay believe it or not. Otherwise, your local paper.

It worked out the same as van hire for us. But even if it's a bit more, you get someone to help and you don't have to muck about hiring a van (and if you've got a naughty license you won't get one at all- DAMHIKT)

Let me know if you get stuck.

I'm not too far from you and have a van, so we could probably sort something out.

Mark.

ok, the 24-S-1 is a similar type model and has these figures:

Length 4'2" (1.27M)
Width 2' (609MM)
Height 6'4" (1.93M)
Nett weight approx. 250 KGS

So it may be a little more manageable than I feared :)

I shall get in touch with the chap and ask about access etc...

Man + van seems possible but I wonder if they will be able to shift something that heavy - I'm thinking lifting it up 3 feet to put it in the back of a transit might be a tall order!

Mark, many thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it yet! Are you coming to the bash by any chance?

My lathe is no shrinking violet...

DSC_1297.JPG

:lol:

Tho admittedly it dismantled.

I was just thinking Tom...that Dan might be able to dismantle it.

Motor off...probably 30kg...few bolts here and there...table off.

Catch my drift?

By the way that is a BEEEUTIFUL lathe!!

Cheers guys

Jim

Dan-K":1mw9pyjk said:
I'm thinking lifting it up 3 feet to put it in the back of a transit might be a tall order!

what kind of transit were you thinking of hiring - its about 3ft into the back of my nissan navara , but most transits have a back cill height of a bout a foot or less.

move it to the back then tip it onto its back onto a blanket on the van floor then one person pulls the blanket while the other pushes - simples

Leave it lying down while on the road as if you stand it up it is only likely to fall over when you go round corners

I recently had to man-handle a Startrite 401E off the pallet and under the garage door (it was too tall and the driver wasn't much help... :?). They state that it weights about 150kg but, even after removing the table (which felt like 20-30kg minimum! :shock:), it was still a struggle between two of us. We adopted Pete's approach in the end; laying it down (on its back edge) on something so we could slide it in and then stand it up.

I do wonder whether you'll be able to lift a 250kg machine (even with some of the weight removed) between two of you... If you can borrow or hire a pallet truck, do so!!

If its any help, I had to prepare a 16inch bandsaw for shipping before so I fastened it to a pallet. I used big coach screws (i think thats what those bolt sized screws are called) to fasten it through holes in the base. It made it very secure and easy to lift about with forks.

However, 'With forks' may be the catch for you.

I wondered about dropping a BS on its side. Is there a danger of straining the frame???.

eoinsgaff":2j2vzxwd said:
I wondered about dropping a BS on its side. Is there a danger of straining the frame???.

not if you are gentle - certainly there is less danger of damage than leaving it upright and having it crash over uncontrolled when you go round a corner

I agree that it is preferable to have it upright and palletised, but most people dont have access to forklift or pump trucks

Those older startrites are very strong.
I shifted mine in a trailer lined with an old mattress with the machine laying down.
No problems.

Bob

We had a 350kg machine delivered in Novmber last year - it cam by man and van, but there was a forklift at the pickup. And it was on a palette
Man, son and I manged to manouvre it out the van - fortunately we had some stout lengths of douglas fir to use as a ramp

thanks guys for all the info. The vendor hasn't replied yet so its difficult to decide what I will need to make the move. Hopefully it works out ok :?

Bob, you have inspired me - looking forward to pimping my machine when I finally get it home ;)

Latest posts

Back