Help deciding on a Jointer plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, its been a long time! I hope you are all well and busy in the shop.

I have been thinking about getting a No.7 style planer and have had good experiences with LieNielsen but I see they have a regular No.7 http://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-nielsen- ... prod20384/ but also a No.7 1/2 Low angle jointer http://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-nielsen- ... prod20393/ .

Now I want something for jointing boards together after making a face edge on my planer but would also like to try out a bit of end grain shooting. I take it the low angle would be better for end grain cuts but I do use quite a lot of figured timber so would the regular No.7 be better when in normal use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as for me its quite a hefty investment.

Kind Regards
George

Joints":91h07b46 said:
Hello guys, its been a long time! I hope you are all well and busy in the shop.

I have been thinking about getting a No.7 style planer and have had good experiences with LieNielsen but I see they have a regular No.7 http://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-nielsen- ... prod20384/ but also a No.7 1/2 Low angle jointer http://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-nielsen- ... prod20393/ .

Now I want something for jointing boards together after making a face edge on my planer but would also like to try out a bit of end grain shooting. I take it the low angle would be better for end grain cuts but I do use quite a lot of figured timber so would the regular No.7 be better when in normal use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as for me its quite a hefty investment.

Kind Regards
George

I find a #7 too heavy for shooting use. But if that is your goal, get the low angle, and then (for figured timber) switch to a high angle blade.

BugBear

Another one to consider is the veritas low angle jointer which is a tad cheaper but can't be used for shooting although it has a few extra features over the lie nielsen model. If you are just fine tuning machine planed edges I find a low angle jack more than adequate for this task with the benefit that it also makes an excellent shooter as well and with a high angle blade will cope excellently with your figured woods .

Cheers

Jon

JonnyD":151k44mf said:
Another one to consider is the veritas low angle jointer which is a tad cheaper but can't be used for shooting although it has a few extra features over the lie nielsen model. If you are just fine tuning machine planed edges I find a low angle jack more than adequate for this task with the benefit that it also makes an excellent shooter as well and with a high angle blade will cope excellently with your figured woods .

Cheers

Jon

Thanks guys.

I've had a look at the Low Angle Jack from Veritas and as there is a deal at the moment for £300 odd with a spare blade I think I will go for that although I do have one question and that is is the 15" base long enough to adequately joint boards? I tend not to go over 4-5 foot long boards.

All the best
George

Joints":1g3cjr2m said:
JonnyD":1g3cjr2m said:

Cheers

Jon

Thanks guys.

I've had a look at the Low Angle Jack from Veritas and as there is a deal at the moment for £300 odd with a spare blade I think I will go for that although I do have one question and that is is the 15" base long enough to adequately joint boards? I tend not to go over 4-5 foot long boards.

All the best
George

is it worth looking into whether lee valley will ship it to you- could be cheaper even with the tax...

Joints":36lyn3jm said:
Thanks guys.

All the best
George

If you are just cleaning up edges that you have machine planed then the jack will be long enough and for 4-5ft boards It should be fine to joint boards from scratch any longer and I think you will need a longer plane. Worth shopping round for a deal my local tool shop gives me about 15 or 20 % discount on Veritas and brimarc stuff there's also a dealer on ebay chronos I think who discount a bit.

Cheers

Jon

The longer the plane is the straighter everything gets. I have an elderly Stanley Bailey number 7 and like it. Actually I have never felt any need for a low angle jonter plane but that is just me.......

If you are spending that sort of money on a Lie Neilsen jobby might be worth considering a David Barron Jointer...
http://davidbarronfurniture.co.uk/david ... _tools.htm - Have to click on one of the images for his jointer plane.

Saw this at the european woodworking show last year and it was very nice. As are all of his tools.

Personally I have an old record number 8 with a clifton blade which gives fantastic results. Only trouble is I end up planing stuff just for the fun of it!

Back