Help - broken the plastic insert for my Kity 613 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekno.mage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

We've just broken the little plastic insert thing with the slot in it that goes in the table round the blade on our Kity 613 bandsaw.

Anyone know where we can get a spare?

Make a new one, plastic or MDF.

I use old chopping board material and turn it to correct size on the lathe, complete with locating lip, for my SIP BS.

Yes, Kym, make half a dozen while you are at it. You'll find that a zero-clearance insert will give you a better quality of cut. They do get chewed up, especially when cutting anything curved, so you can really regard them as disposable. I change mine every few weeks if they have had a hard life.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advise, guys - I'd already thought we'd probably have to make some. I suppose we were lucky ours lasted as long as it did - the saw was second-hand about 3 years ago and it's been cutting quite a lot of curves of late.

Shame the Kity insert is rectangular, so we can't make a new one on the lathe - but there's an old Burgess bench top bandsaw in the workshop that will be pressed back into service to cut the first new insert for the Kity :)

That's interesting, Moose. My 613 looks to be quite an old one, perhaps they changed the design later on. What's the fence like on yours? Mine's pretty poor and needs extra help from a large G-clamp at the rear to keep it true.

I emailed Kity last night as well and was really surprised to have a reply from them waiting in my inbox this morning - apparently they can sell me a new insert but want £14 for it (inc Vat & P&P) - seems a bit steep for a plastic insert - and they didn't say if it was round or rectangular. Think I'll make my own.

Back