Help! Bike storage ideas needed...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel":7wrw18rh said:
I meant any bike Eric. Can't comment on the big wheeler.......:)

I might put a padded circle segment on the 'hook' to spread the load.

My bike is about 32 years old now, but it's a lot better than a mountain bike for town use. I cruise by most of the local fitness fanatics: really good bearings, bigger wheels (27"), better gears for the road (mostly), and 531 tubing.

I couldn't believe the weight the first time I hefted a mountain bike, and a lot of it is 'unsprung' and therefore affecting efficiency. Off-road I can well see the point, but on-road it must be like an exercise machine!

The only upgrades I'd like for mine are side-pull brakes and a granny gear, as the ratios aren't low enough for some of Bristol's hills. I don't use it enough though!

E.

hanging a bike from a single wheel is no problem you could cut half the spokes out and it still wouldn't get a 'bump' or go out of true by hanging from it ,the rims are strong on thier own .
if you are going to store a bike for a while then try to keep the tires pumped as they may crack if allowed to deflate ,the biggest problems with long term bike storage are the headset ,cables and chain. keep the chain oiled ,the cables may stretch or corrode slightly best keep the gears in the middle never ever store a bike with the gears left in either extreme as this will twist/stretch the chain and or the cables.the bearings in some headsets settle in one place if left and will make a slight indent on one surface leaving a notchy feel to the steering.
hanging a bike from the rear wheel probably puts the least stress on any component than any other method.

Noel":21zhkhth said:
I disagree. Erm... a "standing" bike is supported by two rims and two tyres over a relatively large area whereas a hanging bike is supported by a very small area on the inside of one rim. Not good for the headset either. There are also issues with hydraulic components, suspension and headsets when hanging MTBs by a single wheel. Personally I would only every hang a bike by it's frame. Just because you haven't noticed or experienced any problems with your particular bikes does not mean my opinion is incorrect, if indeed opinions can be right or wrong.
Aren't you worried that hanging a bike by it's frame might make the frame sag?

That is as likely, or probably less likely, than hanging the bike by its wheels is to make the rims go out of shape.

In fact neither will damage either frame or wheels. A correctly tensioned wheel can have a force of around half a ton acting around the rim and if the rim is strong enough to cope with that it is not going to get pulled out of shape by hanging the 20lb weight of the bike on it. Bear in mind that any force acting upon the wheel is distributed throughout the wheel by the spokes and not concentrated in one area.
When you ride the bike the rim is constantly deforming minute amounts as it rotates and the tension in the spokes continually changes.

Frames too are extremely strong, as you may know you can put all your weight in the centre of the top-tube with no ill effect (other than to your own undercarriage :mrgreen: ).

Leaving a bike standing on its wheels for a long period is quite likely to damage the tyres as they lose pressure and the sidewalls distort. They will gain a permanent flat spot or bulge.

As far as the headset is concerned its bearings might actually benefit from having the forces acted upon it reversed compared to normal (as when the bike is standing on the ground or being ridden). If you you hang a bike upside down by both wheels the fork then pulls down on the bearing whereas when the bike is ridden the fork pushes up on the bearing.

So I think your fears are unfounded and that you needn't worry that your bike might suffer if it is hung up by its wheel or wheels.

clk230":2ofq5p1z said:
hanging a bike from a single wheel is no problem .....
Agree. A bit of padding could help avoid scratches. Don't know about hydraulics though - would they leak or something?

nope the hydraulics shouldn't leak , hanging from the frame will have no ill affects either ,the strain and pressure on the frame while being riden is far far greater .

just store it in the best way that suits you and if your not using it for a few months check the tires every now and then ,and maybe move the handle bars now and then so the headset doesn't rest.

CLK- Nothing really to do with leaking hydraulics, IMHO if the brakes are an open system air is likely to travel to the caliper when hung from the ceiling by the front rim, think Shimano and Hope specifically suggest not to hang the bike. Some oil/air/gas suspension manufacturers recommend placing the bike upside down for a period in order to lubricate the seals, other manufacturers say not to.

And I agree, store the bike/s anyway that suits. Some here try to be present their views as fact, others have a friendly and cordial discussion.

Noel - totally agree with a friendly and cordial discussion although i do have 20 yrs experience in the cylce trade so i'd like to think some of my views are fact .

clk230":3tx0de3z said:
Noel - totally agree with a friendly and cordial discussion although i do have 20 yrs experience in the cylce trade so i'd like to think some of my views are fact .

+1. My comment wasn't directed at you or the manner in which you posted.
Rgds
Noel.

Eric
Wall hooks for the front wheel work well for adults - kids can struggle to lift the bike up so a wooden frame like Andy's is good. Hooks on the wall wont interfere with your garage door and thick vinyl covers on the hooks protects the wheels from damage.
Mountainbikes can be light and fast, just pick a cross country racer rather than a downhill suspension monster (Overburys in Bristol built one of mine 20 years ago all Reynolds or Columbus tubes, Mavic wheels etc)
Matt

Shrubby":3knv61tj said:
Overburys in Bristol built one of mine 20 years ago

That brings back happy memories!

Do you remember the dragon who used to run the place? She was OK once you were a regular, but all new customers were automatically treated with suspicion. IIRC, during the first Saint Paul's riots, although Fowler's Motorcycles was ransacked and gutted, they didn't touch Overbury's (a few doors up from the Black+White cafe)!

I bought my Dawes from Fred Baker (the man himself!) circa 1978, but got all my bits from Overbury's thereafter.

Noel":2n4wgmlx said:
Some here try to be present their views as fact, others have a friendly and cordial discussion.
I do agree, but forums are full of people givng advice based on myths, heresay and ignorance. Best to take it all with a pinch of salt. :lol:

Eric
Yes she was a bit off - cheered up when I paid though !
It was a great bike. Do they still exist?
Matt

Latest posts

Back