Hello/Triton opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Time for my first post after lurking on here for a while!

Although I'm no great expert at woodwork I've certainly had a good deal of practice renovating my old cottage. It's got to the point where my limited range of power tools and trusty panel saw aren't up to some of the jobs ahead of me and I need something a bit more capable. Having weighed up the alternatives I am attracted to the Triton Workcentre, both for its versatility and portability (at the moment I haven't got a dedicated workshop - that's a project for when the work on the house is nearer to completion).

I've already done a search on here, but would be grateful for any further opinions.

I do believe that Martin had one of these and would be able to offer advice...I 'spect he'll be along directly - Rob

I have a Triton Workcentre 2000 and I like it a lot. It is capable of very accurate work, with a rock-steady fence. It can operate in table saw and cross-cut mode so that it effectively doubles as a small radial arm saw. That sounds good but if you fit the dust collection kit it is a pain to switch between modes. It isn't necessarily a cheap alternative either, the WC2000 is about £200 and if you don't already own a good circular saw the Triton saw is about £160 (you can obviously use cheaper saws but the Triton is much easier to set up). If you then add the blade height winder (essential) and the dust bag (also essential) you will probably add another £70. I don't use the cross-cut mode as I built a cross-cut sled that rides on the table top for squaring panels and er, cross-cutting. You can also get a router table top that fits the WC2000, though again it's a pain to dismantle the table saw to use the router table. Sorry if that's a bit of a ramble...just trying to let you see both sides of the arguement. Some people love Triton and prefer the Work Centre over cheap table saws (me included) but I would own a better table saw if I had the space and the cash.

Interesting! You're confirming quite a bit of what I was already thinking. I'm looking for something that is easily portable, can be folded away when not in use, and can perform a number of functions that would otherwise require separate machines. I will need to be able to handle quite large sheet material (ply for flooring) but also need something with decent crosscut capabilities.

From your and other posts on here I'm aware that it can be a bit of a fiddle to change it over between different functions, but I'm not looking to set up a production workshop, but carry out routine household and garden joinery, then perhaps as I gain more knowledge some slightly more advanced woodwork. (I've promised my other half that I WILL build a glass-fronted cabinet for my burgeoning air rifle collection.....).

Thanks for your helpful comments and it looks as though I'll be ordering something orange in the next day or two!

i have a triton mk3 brought sec ondhand mant years ago with a 91/4 inch makita saw and old style router table. brought secondhand for a sensible price you will not find a better more accurate and versatile system. the 2000 is even better i think but brought new with all the bells and whistles can be very expensive. my favourite way to cut dados is to mount my router on the router sled with an appropriate cutter and an auxiliary table/fence. the capacities of the table saw is way beyond most table saws. i would definitely use the triton saw as it is easier to adjust the height/angles accurately. this was a massive problem with the makita. the dust extraction is non existant with the old saw but im sure a good solution could be rigged. i upgraded to the maxi 26.............or so i thought. initially i couldnt beleive i could get much more accurate cuts with the triton. i was in denial having spent £1800 on the maxi and £160 on the triton.........nuff said

It looked straight":j9ixdwvs said:
Interesting! You're confirming quite a bit of what I was already thinking. I'm looking for something that is easily portable, can be folded away when not in use, and can perform a number of functions that would otherwise require separate machines. I will need to be able to handle quite large sheet material (ply for flooring) but also need something with decent crosscut capabilities.

From your and other posts on here I'm aware that it can be a bit of a fiddle to change it over between different functions, but I'm not looking to set up a production workshop, but carry out routine household and garden joinery, then perhaps as I gain more knowledge some slightly more advanced woodwork. (I've promised my other half that I WILL build a glass-fronted cabinet for my burgeoning air rifle collection.....).

Thanks for your helpful comments and it looks as though I'll be ordering something orange in the next day or two!

I bought the Maxi extension/sliding table which gives huge cross-cut and rip capacity and you can easily handle a sheet of 8x4 ply.....if you have the space. I find it much easier and more convenient to use my smaller Makita hand-held circular saw and sawboard to roughly (or in fact very accurately) size sheet material. I do leave the inner rail for the Maxi table permanently attached to the Workcentre as that supports and guides my cross-cut sled.

The more I'm hearing the more tempted I am!

One of the reasons for going for the Triton is my current lack of adequate workshop space, I do however have a very large paved yard (with power supply and good lighting) so I would be able to use it outdoors, weather permitting, but lock it away securely when not in use.

It looked straight":hws4hrmi said:
The more I'm hearing the more tempted I am!

One of the reasons for going for the Triton is my current lack of adequate workshop space, I do however have a very large paved yard (with power supply and good lighting) so I would be able to use it outdoors, weather permitting, but lock it away securely when not in use.

You should probably add the optional wheel kit to your shopping list, it's not expensive at about £16. The wheels go on the legs at one end and can be folded up out of the way to level the workcentre.

Cheers George - I think I'll be adding quite a few of the optional extras! I've decided to go for Triton's own saw, it might be bit pricey but seems to allow you to get the most out of the Workcentre (I doubt if I'll be using it much handheld though - I'm one of those rare beasts, a 51 year old printer who's still got all his fingers and thumbs!).

It looked straight":18hsrn87 said:
Cheers George - I think I'll be adding quite a few of the optional extras! I've decided to go for Triton's own saw, it might be bit pricey but seems to allow you to get the most out of the Workcentre (I doubt if I'll be using it much handheld though - I'm one of those rare beasts, a 51 year old printer who's still got all his fingers and thumbs!).

The big Triton saw is a bit of a monster to use hand-held. I keep mine in the table and have a smaller Makita to use hand held. Even in table saw mode these things can bite though. I needed 5 stitches in my thumb last year after an accident while developing a prototype for my cross-cut sled that stopped me using the blade guard. Needless to say I changed the design to one that allows the guard to be fitted.

Can I interject into this thread to ask a couple of Triton WC questions? I'm also thinking a triton might be my next purchase.

Q1. What's the vibration level like when running (with the monster Triton saw) - atm I have a really basic small (£89) table saw. Has served me well, but the vibration when cutting is horrendous. As usual with such basic machinery I'm starting to outgrow its capabilities (& capacities).

Q2. Basic bevel cutting (45 deg with the standard fence reversed). Does it work OK? I've analysed the bevel cutting I do & when ripping I only ever tilt the saw to 45 deg - but it does look a bit odd tilting the wood rather than the saw.

Perhaps I need to find somewhere doing a demo (think there's one coming up in Northampton) to have a closer look at the kit in use.

Any comments will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Rich

I get very little vibration with the WC2000, set up with the Triton saw. The saw mount is very stable and the saw itself is so powerful that it has cut easily through anything I have thrown at it. Bevel cuts are more difficult. Firstly, because the stock is tilted rather than the saw you can only bevel the edge rather than a bevel cut down the middle of the stock. Secondly, with the standard fence reversed, you can still only work on relatively narrow stock. If you want to bevel wider panels you need the add-on bevel ripping guide (£64). The advantage of the BRG is that you can vary the angle from 15 - 90 degrees, but still only at the edge.

To anyone who's got a Work Centre (or is thinking of buying one): can I recommend the Triton training DVD? It's far more detailed than the video that comes with the Work Centre, and contains masses of hints and tips, ideas for jigs etc. (including a handy one for occasional bevel cutting wider stock without the add-on bevel guide).

This is my first post, I bought a Triton 2 weeks ago after looking around for a table saw or bandsaw. Unfortunately I do not have a place to leave a saw set up so portability was very important in my decision.

I set up the saw fairly quickly and tested it on saturday, it cut straight and had plenty of power (using Triton saw) but I was very impressed by its accuracy. I cut a strip of 1 1/2 inch thick timber with the fence set to 2mm and then measured it with a digital vernier. 1.96 mm. I am sure I can adjust it but thats not bad for a first cut and probably close enough for garden furniture etc.

So far very impressed and would reccomend this tool to anyone that hasn't got space for fixed machinery.

with my makita the vibration was fine. certainly better than the small type saws i think you have. and i would expect the triton to be even better. it will be quite noisy having a brush motor(so has your little saw) can i just say the triton is not a cabinet saw. but it is well made and accurate. fot £1000 i wouldnt buy it. for £400 i would.

I have had a Triton 2000 for years now and it has done fine service, no doubt having paid for itself many times over, but still quite expensive once you get all the bits!!

A couple minus points for me are the depth of cut and the fixed 90degree blade. In fact a real pain!!

Big plus is portability, but I have now built myself a workshop and to be fair, I would prefer a proper saw table, however my Triton has been a worthy soul and I will not betray it :D

Back