Hello, newbie with a project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmagowan

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself, I have been browsing for a while and got loads of useful information. I am about to start a largish project as part of the refurbishment of my house. I have to DIY it due to cost and I like to keep busy. I will be building a workshop/garage about 6m wide by 11m long to house the tools and then I will need to equip it. I suppose this will be the first project to get myself started but I have 30 odd sash windows to replace so I need somewhere to work. I was, up until now, trying to work in my dining room with random B&Q style tools but they are not up to the job and everything seems a lot harder when you don't have the space or equipment.

Any hints and tips on building the garage would be most gratefully recieved. I intend to use ICF's (insulated concrete forms) and have a lean-to roof as it will be along one side of the house. I was thinking about cladding in cedar or equivalent. I only have single phase electric. Once the structure is up I intend to start woodworking mini-project #1, a workbench island unit. My idea so far was to have a table saw and a router table built in at either end of a bench using the same fence. In front of this a standard workbench which would double as outfeed table. Still very much in the design phase and I don't even know what tools I need. I was thinking in the region of £5k for tooling, at least to start. The windows are my major concern so: router table, band saw, table saw, thicknesser/planer, extraction etc are on my mind.

I guess that is enough to get started with. I would be happy to take photos when work starts if people would be interested and of course I would be most appreciative of any advice.

Thanks
Paddy

If your building box sash windows you can get all the various parts from a good timber merchant. You don't really need a router table, bandsaw or a planer thicknesser. You could do it all with hand tools, a good bench and a vice. a table saw would be handy though. Keep us posted.

Mar_mite":2awrnumy said:
If your building box sash windows you can get all the various parts from a good timber merchant. You don't really need a router table, bandsaw or a planer thicknesser. You could do it all with hand tools, a good bench and a vice. a table saw would be handy though. Keep us posted.
Oh and sash clamps.

As mentioned you can buy parting and staff bead from a merchants and the box can be made from standard off the shelf PSE so really a table saw would be the only thing you really have to buy

You can buy it all, bottom rail, meeting rails top rail/stiles and cill/pully stiles for the box. Just ask in the timber merchant.

Thanks guys
The windows are a bit weird because I am fitting 3G. Most of them will no longer have the box as I don't want them to open (ventilation will be through MVHR). I will have the odd opening one for fire safety but I have not decided how to make them yet. 3G is heavy and I want to keep the sash style but for efficiency it might need to hinge. I am not sure if I will be able to buy suitably sized sash blanks and surely it is more expensive than making from rough timber. Remember, I need a good excuse to buy all these tools :)

how about a used combination machine from ebay, you get a lot for your money, and if you get the right one they are surprisingly good.

I looked at combi machines and did some research. The impression I got was that you sacrificed quite a lot to have it all squeezed together into a compact machine. I am not going to be particularly limited for space and I am thinking about all the woodwork I will be doing in the future. Ideally, for money reasons, I will focus on the major tools I need first but keeping aware of the need to grow for the future. I would worry that with a combi machine I would need to sell it later to get more versatile individual machines. Of course, if the right one comes up on eBay it may still be an option.

Latest posts

Back