Hello new scrol sawer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim o1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone im a new scrolsawer
I picked up a cheap Clarke scrolsaw as a birthday treat i know its not the best saw in the world but it gives me somewhere to start as a beginner its a Clarke css400c
The multi tool attatchments are quite handy so far its a plus been able to use pinless blades although this was a fluke forcite on my behalf
I started out trying to cut a 3d raindeer with the blades supplied with the tool this was a troublesome experience
They were a 24 tip blade almost 5 mm deep turning tight cuts was impossible
Bit of research led me to a mulitipack of Olson blades a 3 selection pack
Wow is all i can say amazing how tiny these blades are
I tried a little inside cutting with a sledge the wife drew

I've been amazed with the work showcased on the forum and have been inspired
I'll try figure how to post a pic

Jim

Hi Jim. A very warm welcome to the forum. If ever you get a problem there are loys of very experienced people on here that will be only to glad to help you. I was going to suggest you throw the blade/s that came with the saw, as they are always rubbish, but glad to hear you have some decent blades, which is half the battle with scroll sawing. I hope the Clarke saw does not put you off scroll sawing, a better saw will produce better results and you will find it a joy but a word of warning, scroll sawing is very addictive and very soon you will become a sawdust junkie. Anything you are not sure about just ask, help is always here.

A very warm welcome to the fabulous hobby of the scroll saw,has Geoff has said it does get very addictive.Jim even if you think that your question is trivial please ask,we are only to willing to help you along the way. :roll:

Bryan

Hi Jim, I'm also a newbie to scroll sawing, and can't wait to get started. Still in the 'which saw to buy' on a very limited budget stage. It's great to have this forum's wealth of guidance. Good luck with all your endeavours, and happy scrolling.

Welcome also to Elspeth58 to the Forum,you are right to say that this is the place to be to get help for the Fabulous hobby that we all enjoy.I hope that you get fixed up with a scroll saw with your limited budget.I see you are from Lancs,not to far from me. :roll:

Bryan

Hi Bryan,
thanks for the welcome. Yes not too far from you about 30 ish miles maybe.
I'm sure I'll be sorted with a saw soon, I have itchy buying fingers. :)

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome
Geoff and Brian im hooked already hehe sawdust is flying
Ill try post a picture of my projects so far not an outstanding quality but the wife loves them
Hopefully this is my 3 rd post and i can link from photo bucket having trouble with file size to uplad it im using an ipad so unsure if i can resize on it

imagejpg1_zpse2d5dc3c.jpg

2 softwood raindeer and 2 mahogany
Softwood sledge had limited materials looking for something 5 mm to re try the sledge

Hi Elspeth58 i hope you get something soon
I wish i had researched more im finding little issues with the saw i got hopefully nothing i cant work around ill try and post a review on the tool soon

Very impressive start,I can see that you are going to be very happy with the hobby.Keep asking the questions and between us there
will be an answer in return :wink:

Bryan

Would appreciate any help with blade selection
Cutting cross grain at 28 mm is no problem with my current blade Olson reverse tooth 12.5 tip 9 rev .038
But cutting with the grain at 38 mm is a problem im finding myself pushing too hard and causing blade drift
I know cutting with the grain is allways tougher
Was curious if anyone could suggest a better blade
I haven't tried a spiral tooth blade yet ones i have are 41 tip

Hi,
Have never used a Clarke saw but you may wish to up your blade to a number 7 to cope with the size of wood you are cutting and turn the speed up to maximum ,cutting with the grain is a little more difficult than cross grain but you will get used to it

Good luck

John

Hi Jim. Cutting 38mm wood is asking a lot from your Clarke saw, even on a Hegner it would be very hard going. At present I am cutting oak at 20mm thick and it is slow going. You can spped up the process, when have put your pattern on the wood cover it with clear packing tape. This will help reduce the friction thus speeding up the cut.

Thanks for the advice Jon and Geoff
Luckily i had a no 7 in the multipack i bought still slow cutting and a snapped blade
I also tried a spiral tooth blade found this cuts verry fast in the mahogany but is also verry hard to control stop and think while cutting will deffinatly cause a mistake for the sander to rectify. im guessing cutting such deep material and such a short cutting action is causing the cut dust to remain in the cut not clearing and slowing cutting when parting my raindeer the cuts are clogged. bigger clearence on the spiral blade eased it up and sped up cutting
good results tho im pleased as punch with my raindeer
I guess practice and patience is the key

Back