Hello from a new member

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammie*dodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Rob. I have done a bit of turning in the past, mostly metal as I trained as a mechanical engineer for 4 years. I inherited an old lathe from my grandfather a few years ago but never really had the space to set it up.

We finally moved into a property where I had some space to set it up so last weekend I spent a few hours making a workbench to mount it on and then another few hours cleaning and fettling the old lathe.

It's all up and running now and I started turning a small bowl from an old board I had set aside, tonight. The outside of the bowl is done and later on in the week I shall reverse the plate it's on and start hollowing out the bowl itself. I don't have a chuck so for the time being It's all going to have to be done this way.

Trying not to spend too much at the moment - like many hobbies I have had I need to make sure that i am actually going to stick with it before I spend any more money on it.

I live in Burwell in Cambridgeshire near the Suffolk and Norfolk border so anyone that lives near by and fancies inviting me round and showing me how to sharpen my old tools please give me a shout.

Cheers, Rob.

Welcome Rob,

I am not a million miles from you on the Essex Suffolk border near Sudbury, and there are plenty of others on the forum who live in East Anglia. I'm not a turner, at all, but hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Mike

HI Rob and welcome to the forum

I live in Peterborough not too far away if the A14 is clear so you are welcome to pop up if you want.

One of the best things I ever did for my turning was join a club, there is one in Cambridge their web site is http://www.cambridge-woodturners.co.uk/

john

Welcome to the forum Rob, I'm sure it won't be long before someone near sorts your tools and sharpening needs out.

As you may gather from your metal turning past the key to good cutting is in sharp tools with cutting edge and bevel shaped to meet your needs.

Might I suggest that you get yourself a copy of Woodturning: A Foundation Course (Paperback) by Keith Rowley

Worth its weight in gold for the basics in turning and tool use.

jammie*dodger":1leyqky7 said:
I live in Burwell in Cambridgeshire near the Suffolk and Norfolk border so anyone that lives near by and fancies inviting me round and showing me how to sharpen my old tools please give me a shout.

Cheers, Rob.

Blimey just realised how presumptuous that sounds :shock:

Thanks for all the advice. I have a good idea of how to sharpen the tools and my own grindin wheel so I can give it a go myself

I'll check out the local club asap.

Cheers, Rob

Hello Rob and welcome :D
I'm sure you will take to woodturning just as well :D
We watched Reg Slack turn a bowl at Stoneleigh without the use of a chuck.He made it look easy. :roll:

Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum.
John's suggestion of joining a club is one of the best ways to get started. May see you there next year.

Hiya Rob, you will enjoy it here ,a very helpful bunch of people .Hope you have a great time Welcome. REgards Boysie.

Hi Rob,
I'm in Suffolk, just south of Bury St Eds, again you are welcome to pop in some time, if I can be of any help.

Johnny B

Not that I know of, I use mail order, mostly APTC, and chisels from Ashley Isles.

Back