Hello and a quick question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my workshop setup after a 15 year gap due to relocating fro Canada to the UK and then many years of lack of space.

I spent a bit of time sorting things out over the weekend and hacked up a couple of tool holders, racks, etc as I set things up. 15 years of forgetting how to use my tools resulted in me snapping one of the spurs on my 55 while routing out some slots in a piece of oak for a rack for my Shapton stones.

I last bought replacements about 20 years ago in Canada but am not having any luck finding a current supplier in the UK or on line. Doe3s anyone have any pointers for a returning hand tools guy on where to source the inevitable spare parts.

I dare say I will be popping in from time to time as I get back into the handtools. Nice to see some names I recognise from various fora of the past.

Welcome to the forum.

It's a question that's come up a few times - this thread may still be useful.

record-405-spurs-t75415.html

Toolbank used to list Stanley spares kits that included them, but don't any more, so eBay is probably your best bet.

Although the spurs for the Stanley 55, 45, 78 and the Record 405 are not all identical, I think it's true to say that any one can be adapted to fit into any other, especially if you still have the correct fixing screw. Clearly it's easier if you don't have to remove two of the spurs from a triple-pointed one, but the other way round is easy - a single spur from a plane like the 78 (or Record 078, or copies) can be made to fit in a 55. You don't need two spare points unless you really do a lot of cross-grain work!

You may need needle files (the diamond ones are good) and a hand vice to grip the fiddly little things.

Thanks everyone for the great information and lurcher many thanks for the very generous offer. I will certainly take you up on that. I'm out of the country for 4 weeks but will get back to you with my details when I get home.

Latest posts

Back