Hello All

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Sparkle

Reaction score
Well I thought id start by introducing myself, I’m John from Derby in the midlands and am just starting out in woodworking. I have always been interested (can you believe my MOTHER of all people shares my interest)!! and whilst always been a capable DIY guy, I have always thought I wouldn’t be able to create beautiful things out of wood.

But I have decided to give it a go, and learn, practice and ask!

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place, and I don’t want to get my knuckles wrapped already, but I thought Id tell you a bit about myself also,

I’m 27, work in IT since finishing University but HATE it! LoL

You may find it interesting I worked for Machine Mart for a while as a student, so am VERY familiar with them, what they sell etc!!! Oh the stories I could tell you all!!!! LoL

Anyway I have decided to pick a bookcase project as my first, it seems ok, although I’m a little worried about the angled cutting.

What do you all think for a beginner project?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/proje ... anid=11117

So I have some basic tools already but electric saw, so I am planning on buying a table saw. I have read and read till I’m confused about what to buy first, but from what I have heard from people, it would be better if I spent more money on just ONE good quality table saw, which seems the most versatile bit of equipment.

SO I’m currently trying to justify a SIP 01332 - I’m actually telling myself its meant to be since 01332 is my area code, that’s destiny right???

I don’t yet have a bench, and was looking at the £117 Clarke woodworking bench, I know its cheap but I cant afford a lot.

Has anyone else got one, the only thing that would concern me is putting something in the vice and having the table split - I never actually sold one while I was at Machine Mart so don’t know the quality - has anyone else got one of these tables?

Please let me know any feedback you may have on what I’m doing, I’m new remember so please excuse my ignorance, if anyone has a better idea on equipment for me to buy a beginner I'd be VERY glad to hear.

Many thanks,

Just ask if you want to know more!

John

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum!!

My advice regarding the bench, is to not waste your money on a cheap one from machine mart. There are loads and loads of plans out there to make your own bench using standard 2x4 timber and sheet good for the worktop. You'll only need a basic circular saw, drill and a few hand tools to build.

On the forum in the projects section, I built a cheapish workbench for under £40 and that lasted a good few years before I decided to make a more sturdy one.

As for table-saws, definitly get the best that you can afford even if that means waiting a few months for your budget to grow. I've personally not got a tablesaw and use a circular saw and guide rail setup which does everything that I need to do, so this maybe an option for you depending on space and what you're actually going to use the saw for.

What have you currently got for workspace?

Welcome John,

Being Derby you have quite a few forum contributors (thus hands on help) quite close

Unless you still get staff discount at MM I'd wait a while until you see what else there is available.

A bench build (it doesn't have to be pretty) would be a good first project IMHO.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Rather than waste £117 on a bench which isn't much good, why not make one yourself? Here's a few pictures of mine. The top is three layers of 18mm MDF lipped with soft wood and the vices are Record 52Ds. Solid as a rock and still in good condition after several years use

view
[/url][/img]

view
[/url][/img]

view
[/url][/img]

Something like that is quite straight forward to make and doesn't cost much.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

THANKS GUYS! for the warm reply and ideas!

I never considered making one myself to be honest, thought it would be a little out of my league at the moment, but considering Im someone who beleives they can do anything with time, patience and help, after looking at those designs, this is something I could do, AND it would fit into my space well.

Paul yours look great, and its the sturdyness I want, a lot of the Machine Mart stuff dosnt tend to be all that sturdy.

Oh I currently have my garage for a workspace, Im lucky as its massive, concrete walls and floor unfortunatly asbestos roof, but hey you cannot have it all! Got to have a clear out then set up shop me thinks, and look into installing the cast iron stove I have laying about for some warmth - looks like autums gonna be starting soon!

Welcome John - like me you're a keen amateur - don't cry yourself to sleep though when you see some of the other members work :shock:.Just take heart that there's TONS of advice and inspiration here if you need it.

Have to back up what the others say about a decent table saw, I've got a cheapie B&Q one that fits my workshop nicely,but that often makes me tear my hair out! However, I do have a decent sliding compound mitre saw that often compensates!

One BIG problem with this site is that you'll never get any work done for being on it! I've just popped indoors for me bait and guess what I'm doing now???? :whistle:

Good luck with your first project and please keep us up to date. If you've seen any WIP (work in progress) posts, you'll see how enthralling they are! I now see what my wife sees in soaps !

Mark

Hi John, welcome to the forum. Don't worry newbie, keen amature or pro are all welcome here.

My motherinlaw turned 60 last year. She booked herself on a furniture restoration course in Cardigan college - having never really done much like it at all in the past -. The day the turned 60 and got her bus pass, she was also awarded best Student of the year for her course! This year she also won best senior student, and best project. So your mum isn't alone!

You want to make a bookcase, but I think it would make more sense to start with the workbench, it is something you need (as opposed to want), and something to basically practice on and see what tools you need etc., and, it doesn't really matter if you make a mistake on it 'cos who's going to know. Hehe.

Any, enough rambling. Enjoy the forum, and ask away at your questions.

woody

LoL so my mothers not alone then Woody!!!!! She’s an amazing woman, and can do ANYTHING! My family are in construction she can plaster, renovate, dig foundations, lay bricks.... seriously the list is endless, I was the one that never bothered learning much while we played on sites as kids!

She’s 62 now and still does it all, she worries me but theirs not a lot she can’t handle!

You have made complete sense with the bench first, and your right it DOSNT matter if I make mistakes while learning the craft, since no-one but me will know. I can attempt the bookcase when I am able to make some good quality joints, it would be so sad to buy beautiful (and expensive) wood only to hash it because I didn’t have the skill.. YET!

Great site Woody, I see your a Southampton lad, I lived in Bournemouth for the past 5 years while at university, but have family in Southampton so was there a lot.

I’m applying to medical school in about 2 years, and Southampton University medical school is top of my list, so hopefully will be back in the area in the not too distant future!

Just buy the best sawbench you can afford. Iif that's less than £200.00 get a good ripsaw.

And to make your own workbench is darn good advice. Although you need a bench to make one, so the chicken and the egg come to mind.
So start with a Workmate.
I did.
Best of luck and welcome.
John :D

Mr_Sparkle":30alz76x said:
LoL so my mothers not alone then Woody!!!!! She’s an amazing woman, and can do ANYTHING! My family are in construction she can plaster, renovate, dig foundations, lay bricks.... seriously the list is endless, I was the one that never bothered learning much while we played on sites as kids!

She’s 62 now and still does it all, she worries me but theirs not a lot she can’t handle!

You have made complete sense with the bench first, and your right it DOSNT matter if I make mistakes while learning the craft, since no-one but me will know. I can attempt the bookcase when I am able to make some good quality joints, it would be so sad to buy beautiful (and expensive) wood only to hash it because I didn’t have the skill.. YET!

Great site Woody, I see your a Southampton lad, I lived in Bournemouth for the past 5 years while at university, but have family in Southampton so was there a lot.

I’m applying to medical school in about 2 years, and Southampton University medical school is top of my list, so hopefully will be back in the area in the not too distant future!
Mr Sparkle, like youself I am a novice at Woodwork and decided to make something outof cheap, what I call Banana wood, pine. Oh Boy did I learn a lot.

Most of all I learned not to use Banana wood, I call it this because it bows like a Banana, having said that it's a good experience, the other things i learnt were how to do mortice and tenons, Planing, using a router with table, panel making and how critical the measurments are amongst numerous other things.

Here is a pic of the first thing I made, a Blanket chest, I plan to make another out of 2 different Hardwoods.

insuranceclaim001.jpg

Good luck

Martin

Wow your all a VERY friendly bunch arnt ya! The digital spy board and the Cine Film making site forums all seem to spend more time rowing that talking!

Martin im loving your box - it looks great in those pics! LoL Bananna wood looks ok to me, I think youve made an excellent job of it!

Mr_Sparkle":2zeby21o said:
Martin im loving your box - it looks great in those pics! LoL Bananna wood looks ok to me, I think youve made an excellent job of it!

Thanks for being kind :eek: about the Banana wood, you wouldn't have said it looks ok if you'd have seen me hammering the boards into the slots :lol:

Martin

Trouble is half the ruddy wood you buy today is banana wood! Nice box Motown, well done.
1 Tip Mr sparkle, it may seem obvious, most of us have discovered (even us Pro's who get desperate) that B&Q, Homebase etc, is not usually the best place to buy wood. Try and befriend your local timber merchant and usually it is cheaper and slightly better quality timber.

Change of subject, thanks for comments about web site. I was in Christchurch only last weekend, I travelled down from wales as my parents were over from the Island staying - in Bournemouth!

Southampton Uni and the General Hospital which is a Uni Hospital have excellent reputations - but then again i worked at the hospital so it would :lol:

Oh, we really are a friendly bunch, never spiteful - we just kill each other over dust extraction methods/ Woodrats and Legacy thingys (don't worry, you'll soon pick up on these!) :D

woody

Welcome to the forum.....lots of great advice about benches. My own view is that you should buy or even better make (and they're not too difficult) the very best bench you can, it's the basic tool (and it is a tool) that will enable you to produce good work later on. If you do decide to make one, the correct bench top height is your inside leg measurement plus about 50-75mm....oh, and make sure that when its installed the top is dead level in both planes by jacking up the legs with off cut shims - Rob

Latest posts

Back