Hello All

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren7106

Reaction score
Hi All, I have recently cleaned out my shed of all the junk and decided to pursue my life long dream and purchase a Myford ML7 lathe. I'm a 55 year old guy from West Wales who plans on locking himself away in his shed and start a new hobby of model making, Toolmaker by trade but left the trade years ago as I am now a Health & Safety Manager. I have missed working with my hands hence the plans to use my shed as a workshop. While sorting the shed out I realised I had a problem with my Clarke pillar drill, the drill would not stay on so I suspected I had a defective NVR switch. I have since replaced it but as soon as I switch mains power on, it sounds like the NVR switch is shorting out, so this is the reason for joining this forum so hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction as to a solution.

Thanks all and I look forward to reading and contributing to the forum.

Hi and welcome
For model making, you may find an ML7 a bit small and restrictive.
I would suggest you try for something with a bit more capacity and rigidity - you might pick up a Colchester Chipmaster or Bantam - both great lathes which would give you much greater flexibility in the jobs you might want to do. ML7's are overpriced for what they can do and you may get a better lathe for similar cost.
If you do go for an ML7, enjoy

While sorting the shed out I realised I had a problem with my Clarke pillar drill, the drill would not stay on so I suspected I had a defective NVR switch. I have since replaced it but as soon as I switch mains power on, it sounds like the NVR switch is shorting out, so this is the reason for joining this forum so hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction as to a solution.

Thanks all and I look forward to reading and contributing to the forum.
Does it sound as if it is arcing? Could it be the NVR simply doing its job? Is your supply good / sufficient?
If all OK, has the drill been standing in the shed for ... a while? Damp? Mould? Hair dryer, else strip down and clean?

Hi and welcome
For model making, you may find an ML7 a bit small and restrictive.
I would suggest you try for something with a bit more capacity and rigidity - you might pick up a Colchester Chipmaster or Bantam - both great lathes which would give you much greater flexibility in the jobs you might want to do. ML7's are overpriced for what they can do and you may get a better lathe for similar cost.
If you do go for an ML7, enjoy
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already purchased a ML7, I missed the d out in my original post. Thanks for the welcome.

Don't suppose you know the reason why my NVR on my pillar drill seems to be shorting out, its not faulty as ive putchased a new one 🤔🙈
Does it sound as if it is arcing? Could it be the NVR simply doing its job? Is your supply good / sufficient?
If all OK, has the drill been standing in the shed for ... a while? Damp? Mould? Hair dryer, else strip down and clean?
Hi Dave, yes it sounds as.if it's arcing, also been stood in shed for.simetime without use. I was thinking it could be damp. What do you recommend 👍

Don't suppose you know the reason why my NVR on my pillar drill seems to be shorting out, its not faulty as ive putchased a new one 🤔🙈

Hi Dave, yes it sounds as.if it's arcing, also been stood in shed for.simetime without use. I was thinking it could be damp. What do you recommend 👍
"Get rid of the damp" - if it is damp internally? If you've used the drill previously in same location guess the power supply is adequate? Check with a similar load?
Hair dryer on the motor. May help.
If not, strip down the motor, any other enclosed spaces holding electrics, check for clean / dry.
After that, find a friendly electrical 'bod' to help diagnosis?

Has the arcing noise only started since you replaced the nvr switch. If so unplug from the wall and check your connections on the nvr sw, are any of them loose and are the wires connected correctly. If these are ok, disconnect the wires to the motor, replace the switch and try again.This will prove the integrity of the switch and if a fault lies before or after the switch. Try this and let uus know
John

"Get rid of the damp" - if it is damp internally? If you've used the drill previously in same location guess the power supply is adequate? Check with a similar load?
Hair dryer on the motor. May help.
If not, strip down the motor, any other enclosed spaces holding electrics, check for clean / dry.
After that, find a friendly electrical 'bod' to help diagnosis?
Hi Dave, I suspect its damp inside the motor. Shed is bone dry inside bit it's been a good few years since i used it last.

I'll strip and try hair dryer.

Thanks for your help.

Has the arcing noise only started since you replaced the nvr switch. If so unplug from the wall and check your connections on the nvr sw, are any of them loose and are the wires connected correctly. If these are ok, disconnect the wires to the motor, replace the switch and try again.This will prove the integrity of the switch and if a fault lies before or after the switch. Try this and let uus know
John
Hi John,

I changed the switch as the old switch was arcing, I thought it was defective sonI changed it. I suspect its damp in the motor as the NVR is doing the job its supposed to do I think 🤔

Cheers John

Darren

Hi all,

Quick update. I removed the motor. Stripped it and it was bone dry inside. Put it all back together and it worked. I think there was a dodgy earth attached to the casting behind the NVR switch.

So all good and thanks for all your input 👍

Back