Hello all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

For a quite a while I've wanted to get into some proper woodworking and I've now decided to give it a bash.
I've done a few projects - my decking, new stair spindles, a storage wall and desk for my daughter (mdf) and a fire surround/mantelpiece (mdf). I'm just about to lay laminate through the house downstairs.

I bought a really nice woodworking book a while ago called, imaginatively, Wood Work - The complete step by step manual. I want to learn how to make tidy joints (no not that kind). First up I'm going to make a frame for a notice board using Mitred Half Lap Joints. It would be great if anyone advise could me on a suitable wood or should I just go for pine initially for practice? Also, can anyone recommend a supplier of 'fancy' wood; oak, ash, maple etc The types of timber you're not going to find in wickes/ B&Q?

Hi welcome to the forum.

Pine is fine for practicing, but buy from a timber merchant, not b&q etc.

Im sure there are forum members in your area that can advise on suitable merchants.

Sadly few timber merchants are set up for helping retail or hobby and can be unfriendly places, so reccomendations are very worthwhile

Hi there I have this Titan table saw and have had it for a while but now I have been getting into woodworking more serious I need a better saw but not one that will blow the bank. Can anyone help

Cheer Inness

Back