'Hedgerow' Timber aquired - pics added of finished job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents, I wonder if anyone out there can help me.

I have volunteered to make a new handle for the school playtime hand-bell at my daughters primary school, the old one having given up!

The classes are named, not numbered after trees so I thought is would be very nice to make up a laminate or composite representing the classes:

Ash, Beech, Hawthorn, Juniper, Willow

I am ok for ash & beech but I am not sure how to source the rest! If I go for the laminate I guess I need a 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 8" piece. If I go for the composite then I guess a 1 1/2" cube will be fine.

Can anyone help me either with an offer of a small off cut of something or a suggestion of where I could go to get them.

Many thanks,
Simon

The traditional source of "hedgerow" timber is a hedgerow, or, not to be too pedantic; field, wood, copse etc.
Just get out there with your little saw!
Look in a few skips whilst you are at it, and at chucked out bits of furniture.

Mr G Rimsdale":20set9mx said:
The traditional source of "hedgerow" timber is a hedgerow, or, not to be too pedantic; field, wood, copse etc.

Thank you for your characteristically helpful reply. I don't think I will call this thread closed just yet based on this.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

SVB":3g8tla8u said:
Mr G Rimsdale":3g8tla8u said:

Thank you for your characteristically helpful reply. I don't think I will call this thread closed just yet based on this.

Anyone else?

Thanks.
I wasn't being facetious - I mean it. If you are making small things there is loads of free stuff out there.
You might be stuck for juniper but hawthorn and willow shouldn't be a prob.

Hi Simon,

I tend to agree a little with Mr G R.

For you're willow and Hawthorn, the countryside is your best bet, just don't get caught.

Can't miss the hawthorn at the moment, full of haws ( and starlings ! )

Hi Simon

I could sort you out a bit of Willow for the cost of postage.

I'll have to check sizes, but I can do 1 1/2 cube.

Mark..........

Hawthorn from the bottom of hedges, cut some time ago and dried would be OK. If yiou get stuck I can let you have some for postage.

Juniper may be a bit more difficult, not a wood you find round much. Willow, unless you take the advice of an old cricket bat would eb a bit of a pig as it can take years to dry naturally.

I've got some newly cut down hawthorn - so it might be a bit too green. But could send you it for cost of postage.
Willow - can send you bits of an old cricket bat if you want as I've just found one in the cupboard I thought I'd thrown out.
No idea about Juniper though.

You could, of course, chuck in some similar looking wood for the juniper and tell porkies :? :? :?

Seriously, if you have some small hedge lined lanes around you then you could have a wander round to see if there are any 'layed' hawthorn hedges. There is a good chance that there will be some over enthusiastic cuts and some nice dry bits in the hedge. Once again, not too sure about the juniper. It grows wild here, but it isn't often I ever see any dead stuff.

Many thanks to all who replied.

I need to complete this project soon and after offering I don't really want to have any unexpected splits from turning green timber too soon so I am really after dry (ish) timber.

I will leave this post run another couple of days and then I will take up some of the kind offers here to get this project completed (probably 1/2 term when I can get the bell for a couple of days - wip photos to follow).

Thanks again,

Simon

Simon,

you must be quite close to the National Arboretum at Westonbirt. I would give them a call and explain what you need stressing the pro bono aspect. They had wood for sale at the Festival of the Tree although I didn't notice any Juniper. If no joy you could try some of the big estates in your area.

I don't know how you feel about microwave drying green timber but I have found it works for me although not, as far as I can tell, equally well with all species. Anyway, may be worth a try if only green wood is available :)

Graham

Simon, it has just dawned on me where you are! What a twit... We used to live just the other side of the hill from you and if you knew the Old Fleece about 8 years back and you knew the landlord/manager Ian then you knew my son! We lived along Butterow Lane.

For the juniper, if I remember correctly, there used to be some juniper bushes up on the top of Rodborough Common, either just behind the Bear of Rodborough or a bit further round behind Private Road. It seems like a lifetime back, but we used to comment n the size of them. If there is some dead-ish stuff from what the NT have been cropping there may be something there.

Other than that there is some in Woodchester Park. I'm sure that I have seen it there? If you speak to the guys at the Manor they may well be able to help and it's closer than Westonbirt and no entry fee either!!

As an aside.? Have you ever seen the radio controlled gilders up on Selsley/Frocester Hill/Rodborough Commons? If so, about 7 years back, before we moved over here you probably saw me!

Well, many thanks to all those who offered help and advice.

I have finally managed to gather together all the timber required and half-term has allowed release of the bell.

Here is how it finished up. Anyone want to guess the order of timber before I let on?

Bell1.jpg

Bell2.jpg

Bell3.jpg

Thanks again, Simon

Ah, the dinner bell! such memories.... my junior school used to get 2 kids to walk round the playground with a bell, one ringing, one holding the class number board, look for your number and run to the in door for lunch. Wicked bell handle, looks great.

Hi Simon

Good one. I have to say though that I stopped volunteering to do stuff years ago, but I admire you for doing it.

Looks good. Lets hope it does not de-laminated, fly across the play ground and hit someone on the head. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding of course I know you will have done a fine job.

Take care
Mark

When my son and daughter were in their sub teens we used to go camping a lot, great fun! They used to vanish off playing somewhere in the campsite and when meals were ready I used to get our small brass bell, stand outside the tent and give it a good ring and they would come running. Our neighbours on site, both here and in the U.K. were amaised and they were really impressed by the idea. It worked every time, well, apart from bed time :?

The handle turned out well Simon! Is there a shaft through it?

Back