Heating and warmer fish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Gib

Established Member
Reaction score
For the last week I was running a 3kw fan heater. It was in the way and was not making a great difference. So by way of a permanent fixture I decided to buy a 1500 watt oil filled heater from Screwfix thinking it would not do the whole workshop. I mounted it on a dividing wall in the middle of the workshop. I plugged it in and after an hour I checked the temp 12 deg it stayed that way for the rest of the day. The fan heater did not heat the whole shop in the same way. So I say oil filled rad all the way.

I also have a large fish tank in my workshop 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. It is a tropical tank and is expensive to heat. I had an idea about making it better and finally done it yesterday.

I went to a UPVC door chap and bought from him a Double glazed unit. 1200 x 450 = new £20. I then built a frame on the front of the tank with 3 x 1 prepared and filled all but the middle bit with celetex. Fitted some batons to create another heat trap followed by the glazed unit. Finally fitted some batons to stop the unit falling out (easy removed to occasionalyl clean behind in case condensation builds up).

Completely covered the top of the tank with celetex including creating a large void with the light in.

The wall behind the tank and to the left is insulated.

Even though the window into the tank is a lot smaller if I go up close see the whole tank.

I'll get some photos soon.

Cheers Alan

so now when the fish look out they think that you're in a large tank with a small window? :)

Miles-Hot. I wondered why the fish kept coming up to the glass and laughing.

Richard. No need for heating until you cook them unless your a sushi man.

Seen Bear Grills do that on TV. Caught a fish and started gnawing on it. Gross

Cheers Alan

Latest posts

Back