Quantcast

Heat proof finish for Birch Ply...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Ay up folks,

I was in need of an ironing board, so made one in a surfboard-esque shape out of some Birch Play I had in the 'shop. But having a cover over the top of it is really spoiling the look of it. Can anyone recommend a heat-proof finish I can use on it? I know technically this should be in the 'finishes' section, but it doesn't get that much traffic through there, or at least it didn't last time I went. - Please feel free to move this mods if I am barking up the wrong proverbial tree! :D

Preferably something I can wipe or brush on, I love Chestnut Hard Wax oil for instance, but it won't cut it in this application. I don't have spray equipment.

Cheers _Dan

Peter G Denmark

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get a laquer i automotive stores for exhaust pipes, that can take 600 degrees centigrade.

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Dan

What ever you coat it with won't stop the glue between the plys softening.

I don't think it will last very long.

Pete

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of that Pete, Shhhugar! I may try and get some heat reflective material to put underneath a cover then, as long as it's functional I suppose.

Cheers chaps. _Dan

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have an old 1950s plywood ironing board which survived ok until quite recently. No finish to the wood at all. But you need a layer of wadding and a cotton cover to make it usable. The wadding for a bit of 'give' and the cover to stop the clothes sliding off. John Lewis sell sheets of heatproof polyester wadding for the purpose and covers in all sizes.

Shrubby

Established Member
Reaction score
Dan
I make lots of jigs and boards for tailors and dressmakers. The birch ply boards are always covered in wadding,felt or blanket with a cotton cover. The ply is not affected by the heat or steam
One of them asked for a bizarre complex shape with fine points and concave and convex radius' cut out of the boards .It was made from clear solid Birch boards 25mm thick with no finish - so far 5+ years of commercial use with no problems
Matt