Heat proof finish for Birch Ply...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Ay up folks,

I was in need of an ironing board, so made one in a surfboard-esque shape out of some Birch Play I had in the 'shop. But having a cover over the top of it is really spoiling the look of it. Can anyone recommend a heat-proof finish I can use on it? I know technically this should be in the 'finishes' section, but it doesn't get that much traffic through there, or at least it didn't last time I went. - Please feel free to move this mods if I am barking up the wrong proverbial tree! :D

Preferably something I can wipe or brush on, I love Chestnut Hard Wax oil for instance, but it won't cut it in this application. I don't have spray equipment.

Cheers _Dan

Hi, Dan

What ever you coat it with won't stop the glue between the plys softening.

I don't think it will last very long.

Pete

Hadn't thought of that Pete, Shhhugar! I may try and get some heat reflective material to put underneath a cover then, as long as it's functional I suppose.

Cheers chaps. _Dan

I used to have an old 1950s plywood ironing board which survived ok until quite recently. No finish to the wood at all. But you need a layer of wadding and a cotton cover to make it usable. The wadding for a bit of 'give' and the cover to stop the clothes sliding off. John Lewis sell sheets of heatproof polyester wadding for the purpose and covers in all sizes.

Dan
I make lots of jigs and boards for tailors and dressmakers. The birch ply boards are always covered in wadding,felt or blanket with a cotton cover. The ply is not affected by the heat or steam
One of them asked for a bizarre complex shape with fine points and concave and convex radius' cut out of the boards .It was made from clear solid Birch boards 25mm thick with no finish - so far 5+ years of commercial use with no problems
Matt

Latest posts

Back