Heat in Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya to All, Some questions have been asked about heating the workshop and the expense of it. I dont have the problem my area is small and I have a Superser gas heater which works fine. I was wondering as lots of folk have Patio heaters that are put away at the end of Sept/Oct.could they be used in the workshop just a thought. REgards Boysie

I've always worked in my garage, about a car and a half size. Single brick and a pitched tiled roof. Not the easiest place to keep warm, so at the beginning of the cold spell last year I decided to brick up double door I had at the rear, and build a partition wall with a sliding door so that now I have a space of approx. 10' x 7' to work in and heat.

Must admit I should have done this years ago, it is so much more comfortable. I have a 1800w ceramic heater with a thermostat which is only ever on the first heat setting, and usually begins to switch off and on after about an hour.

Now as a secondary bonus all my dust and chips are contained in a smaller area making it easier to control and clear.

Still got to sort out the mayhem I left in the outer part of the garage, which now contains a bandsaw, pillar drill, belt sander, work bench where I have still to fit a metal work lathe, and a partly rebuilt Norton Commando, and 'er indoors spare freezer. Can't swing a b****y cat. :lol: :lol: :lol: but it works for me.

I have a radiator that's plumbed into the house. But it's no use when it's very cold out as the front of the shop is poorly insulated.

I find that with the lathe and the chip extractor going it soon warms up though down here it's rarely below zero except occasionally at night

Pete

I have a revolving fan heater with remote control..Bit cold turn it up.
Was going to opt for wizers method but would have taken up to
much valuable space in my shed.
Only prob is cleaning out dust at the end of a session.

For the last two years, I've had a small oil-filled radiator plugged in to the mains. Our energy supplier has just told us how much this has been costing, so we're plumbing a radiator in during the next couple of weeks. Might not be as effective, but can't go on as we have been. Costing a fortune.

Hi Eugene ...
As you maybe know, I was a combustion engineer for a good number of years, working on a wide variety of oil & gas burners.
Having said that - I never worked on a patio heater, but I'd have a couple of concerns about using one in a relatively confined space like a shed for example.

Firstly - and possibly most importantly, they are realy designed for outdoor use :lol: - obvious as that may sound, there are pretty good reasons for that..

They would appear to be commonly available in outputs from around 5Kw to about 14Kw typically ( 13650 Btu/Hr -- 47750 Btu/Hr ) ...
These are High numbers ! -- they'd need to be, to have any effect in an external environment.
Outputs like these cause two big primary concerns.
1. - The volume of air to support correct combustion is huge. - not a problem outside, of course.. but if the 'shed' has been 'improved' to eradicate draughts and to be 'well-insulated' for use as a workshop, its concievable that the supply of adequate combustion air ( free air ), to keep a burner of that capacity combusting correctly, could be impaired.

This would lead directly to concern number 2 --

A patio heater, (like your SuperSer) has no means of flueing the products of combustion to the outside.
On the super-ser, its not so much of a problem, although it is something thats always worthy of keeping to the forefront of the mind... ( this is because of it's comparitively low output ).
A burner knocking out 5Kw of heat is producing a vast amount of 'nastys' in its flue-gases, and would very quickly become very detremental to a person's health ... it'd make you ill, and it'd achieve it very quickly !
If it were up nearer the top-end output, - a model blasting out 14+ Kw for example, the problem is exacerbated, multi-fold. :shock:
If the thing was already combusting badly ( as per 'concern number #1'), the 'nastys' in the gases are even more likely to be disastrous, with the potential of Carbon Monoxide production being very high indeed.

Thats all before we go near the potential of dust & large naked flames !
:wink: :lol:

In the average 'shed' - heat of that level will dry everything out in no time at all.. including the occupant ! ... it'd literally be unbearable. :lol:
If your 'stock' was in that kind of environment.. I'd guess it would not do it a great deal of good either !.

LPG itself, is a fuel that demands a lot of respect. Liquified Petroleum Gas is denser than air, and any leakage will 'hang around' the floor like a low-level 'cloud' and is potentially very nasty .. one good reason for keeping it out of a shed ! OK, it is used extensively in caravans, boats etc.. but it does warrant a lot of respect, with regards to the storage and subsequent utilisation of it. Its nasty stuff.
It only requires a concentration in air of 2 - 8% of the total volume, and its then 'explosive'. ( Natural gas is 5 - 15 % ). Potentially Really nasty stuff it is. :wink:

Suffice to say... the Patio Heater is given its title as PATIO heater, because thats what it's designed for ...
I'd suggest its probably a very good idea to keep it where it likes to be, outside, and look at alternative methods of supplementing the Super-Ser if its struggling a little bit to heat the space concerned.

All things being 'right' and finances allowing ... where there is the amount of wood dust, shavings and associated debris that a woodworking / woodturning shed is likely to contain ... whenever possible, a heat source that doesn't contain a naked flame, or high temperature surface / source of ignition would definately be preferrable.
The oil-filled electric radiator is ideal ... I know the running costs are horrendous, and that can be a problem for people.. but from a safety point of view, its a good way to go.

Hope that helps .. bit of a long winded answer to the question....
but FWIW, I'd not advise the patio heater to be used anywhere other than a patio ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeez Alun,You hav frit the S##t out of me.My shed is made compleatly from heavy gauge galvinised sheetingwith no insulation at all.It's I imagine like working in the Kyber Pass.It was here when I moved in 3yrs ago its about 16'x10'and was used as a SHED. There was a bag of Spuds growing in one corner and bits of everythingall over the place,SHE had an awful time cleaning it out :oops: :oops: :lol:
So I thought the Superser was grand I do wear good winter cloths all year round when I'm down there :) :) The lathe and Bandsaw and Planer/thicknesserget a Bab of WD40 every couple of days and are covered over with old blankets every night,havent been down there in a while so must make an effort to check them tomorrow as it gets damp down there.
Great place to have a chat with herself when there is a hailstorm, thats when I tell her about the new tools that I've gust bought :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: I hope theres a big hail storm tomorrow when I tell her I have to insulate it. Anyway I'll just blame you :lol: :lol: Thanks Alun from the bottom of my wallet. REgards Boysie.

Ha ha ha ... now THATS a good post ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boysie, yet again you have me rolling around laughing !
terriffic !

Sorry to scare you ! :lol: -- the Super Ser is fine... but don't go putting some whopping great patio heater in there...
You'd stop me sleeping at nights ! :lol: :lol:

How you getting on with the Picture posting ? ...
I was just catching up on the least few days worth of posts, and spotted your bowls... brilliant !
Look forwards to seeing many more - looking great so far !

And apologies to the Wallet .. I have one very similar ... the last time I opened it in daylight, on one of my fivers, the queen blinked :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

has anyone considered putting in a small wood burning stove, and buring off there sawdust and off cut's. I have used the patio heater in my garage, took the gas tank out of the lower body, dropped the top down so the top is only at shoulder level. warmed the place right up, and it didn't take too long.

Digazz, thats what I ment when I suggested it but as I dont have a Patio heater I wasent sure you could make it smaller. But from what Jenx has said I dont know if its safe now. I was useing a superser and had no probs. but I'll have to have a rethink even though he reckons the Superser is all right. REgards Boysie

one winters night, getting fed up going out for a smoke with the lad's in the freezing cold, we sat in the garage all night and drank and smoked while the patio heater was on (on low setting). opened the roller door of the garage to vent the room. didn't find a problem with it..

The Superser is probably one of the 3-radiant ( or possibly 5 ) small panels ? each one being about 8x3 and you can select a combination of them ? ...
Its only about 21/2 / 3Kw and as such will be fine, Boysie ... it wont cause any harm, especially in your 'well ventilated' Galvanised 16x10.
It'll be fine :wink:

What worried me was the thought of a large output ( External Use ) heater being used in a well-sealed, insulated, wooden shed...
where the fluegases have nowhere to go, and combustion air could be a bit 'limited'.

Your 'Ser will be fine. 8) :lol: :) :wink:

Thanks Alun, Yes the Super is one of thoes 3 panneled ones and I only use the one .So I may still insulate the Shed for comfort sake . Super post of yours I'm sure others would have found it so also, Thanks again' REgards Boysie.

Back