Head torch recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had numerous headlights over the years but one i found couple years back on a sort of ebay clearance from them? was Night searcher rechargable battery pack has spot and red light with a slidable filter cover which turns into a flood light in either colour neat little light for most things and can dim so lasts longer but i need 8hrs plus for fishing.
Had few Led Lensers also apart from old types had H14.which cable broke just outside battery box which on one i sorted but got used now to light up rod tops on beach then H14R2 which still works.Now using H19R Signature which has two beams spot and flood which i was flood mostly on low plenty of light plus comes with shed loads of bits like straps,brackets and a bluetooth gadget like a watch to adjust light but have to download another poxy app!!!
Few friends have been using the Core version for long while without issue and had some of the Fenix there gone now as battery issues/charging got sketchy and needed to carry spare batteries as wouldn't last.
One good thing with Led Lenser is if have issues they will sort it often send a new light

Have a look at Nitecore. I have the HC30 model, which is now discontinued. It's a great little headlamp and you can also use it as a handheld torch. They have an extensive selection and the build quality is imo excellent. Check out the new models in the H (headlamp) range here.

Depends what you want it for…
I have an old Petzl. Must be 20 years old and still going strong and also an Energizer that is bright and has adjustable beams (flood/spot).
I also have a rechargeable head torch built into a beanie hat which is great on cold nights.

For working outside on an evening I use one of these headtorches, from Amazon. Battery pack is at the back of your head. Charges via a usb cable. For working in tight corners though, it can be a bit bulky and I sometimes bump it against things. It’s great for general work though, I really like it and a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wesho-Rech...00&qid=1668149393&sprefix=v3000,aps,76&sr=8-3
Like with all these Chineseieium lights "Be careful/watch Batteries when charging" Many are unprotected cells so just open charge till explode! all ex laptop cells rewrapped in often Something with "Fire" in the name.
18650 cells are used in laptop and other things batteries ok when as originally configured as one or some of the cells are "Protected" it's a part in cap that switches battery off once fully charged which stops rest also.
Units get taken to bits in china put in bins of graded cells sold to who ever and rewrapped.
Go check Scooter fires etc.
18650's are around max 2600 ma'ish physically constrained by design of cell and all these you see/read with 3000+ are dubious as some claim lighthouse output but been found not so after testing "know someone in Power Cells & Marine electronics and they test shed loads of stuff as if sell has to be right"
They configure power units to customers spec's/need's.

Higher output ones are like what get in the latest Led Lenser units like H15/H19 there not using 18650's.

One for those using Laptops? once fully charged if using at home remove battery unit and just run off mains laptop runs cooler and lasts longer as commonest failure on laptops is charging IC as it's constantly flicking from mains to battery so gets hot and fails usually round back near where battery sits.

18650 cells are used in laptop and other things batteries ok when as originally configured as one or some of the cells are "Protected" it's a part in cap that switches battery off once fully charged which stops rest also.
Yes something to be very aware of, only buy from a reputable source and don't look for bargains. If you need an 18650 battery then these are fine.

https://www.nitecore.co.uk/batteries/li-ion/

Yes something to be very aware of, only buy from a reputable source and don't look for bargains. If you need an 18650 battery then these are fine.

https://www.nitecore.co.uk/batteries/li-ion/
Have you watched the test Videos with infrared showing heat then when they explode!
Bad cells get hot to one side on charge where it's weakest.
Sanyo/Samsung/Panasonic are leaders your Nitecore/Fenix etc often are what's beneath labels as neither of them make batteries.
Also there are various cell characteristics ie short/long durations and high output spot power to constant drain you choose for applications
As some will give a big bang for short while like a flashgun and recover while if you need say for a motor that is in use for long periods wouldn't be good and vice versa!

18650's are around max 2600 ma'ish physically constrained by design of cell and all these you see/read with 3000+ are dubious
You made many good points about buying from reliable sources and being wary of cheap cells esp. without cell protection, but the statement above is out of date. Leading brand high capacity 18650's are more like 3200 to 3500mAh these days.

There are many reliable load tests published on the internet that graph the output of cells over time at different load currents. Users want to know the best cells to choose for highest drain or longest runtime at more modest loads so they can match the cell to the application and mfrs offer a choice of cells tailored to different applications.

Battery manufacturers have been improving their cells for decades so it's only to be expected.

For bigger capacities like 4Ah per cell however you DO need to switch up to the new 21700 or 22700 size. @Bojam's link to Nitecore lights above is interesting as they are clearly switching a lot of their lights up to this new size, just like the name brand cordless tool manufacturers.

Having used Nitecore now for over twelve years and never a problem, I am confident they are fit for purpose and are manufactured by Murata, who were Sony. Many brands don't make a product but buy in and rebadge as we know from woodworking machinery, the issue arises when someone dismantles battery packs and then rebrands the individual cells. They can sometimes be spotted because they have marks on the contacts where the interconnects once were, having now been removed.

The other aspect that must not be overlooked is to use a decent charger that provides the correct charge algorithm and with protection, some cheap chargers are cheap for a reason but to many people buy cheap thinking they are getting a bargain.

As Hamsterjam said, It depends what you want it for. If you need it for just doing a bit of work under the sink, then get the cheapest. I have have about 3 of these. However, I do have two expensive Petzl Reactik which I use on the hills which are excellent pieces of kit.

Dozens of options, Screwfix, Toolstation etc - any recommendations? for a head torch, for working in dark corners, unlit cellar etc. Also for cycling as extra light, rain proof?
Petzl bindi is very small and lightweight, 3 brightness modes. Simple and effective headband adjustment. I bought it for best but it gets used for everything. Most frequently under the car. Doesn't get in the way of goggles or glasses. Tiltable. Double locking so it doesn't go off in your pocket. Red light mode (hence the name) so your neighbour is less likely to catch you stealing his carp.
Little bit fiddly for use with thick gloves on but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

Petzl bindi is very small and lightweight, 3 brightness modes. Simple and effective headband adjustment. I bought it for best but it gets used for everything. Most frequently under the car. Doesn't get in the way of goggles or glasses. Tiltable. Double locking so it doesn't go off in your pocket. Red light mode (hence the name) so your neighbour is less likely to catch you stealing his carp.
Little bit fiddly for use with thick gloves on but that's not a dealbreaker for me.
So many choices!
My Ledlenser iH5R is fairly similar but heavier and twice as bright. Still tiny compared to the old days.
Have had Petzls in the past - the old ones were quite chunky with big 3LR12 batteries banging against the back of your head.
Years ago was caving with acetylene lamps - are they still going? Come to think, have been caving with candles and Ever Ready bike lamps. :unsure: PS and paraffin hurricane lamps I seem to recall. Can you still buy paraffin? Might come in handy with the coming energy crisis!

Last edited:
So many choices!
My Ledlenser iH5R is fairly similar but heavier and twice as bright. Still tiny compared to the old days.
Have had Petzls in the past - the old ones were quite chunky with big 3LR12 batteries banging against the back of your head.
Years ago was caving with acetylene lamps - are they still going? Come to think, have been caving with candles and Ever Ready bike lamps. :unsure: PS and paraffin hurricane lamps I seem to recall. Can you still buy paraffin? Might come in handy with the coming energy crisis!
Did you also carry a canary in a cage? 😆🤣

Bought these for a camping weekend earlier this year. Now use them for outdoor cooking in the dark evenings. Pleasantly surprised with the amount of light.

LE Head Torch Rechargeable, [2 Pack] 2000L Waterproof LED Headlamp with 6 Lighting Modes Adjustable Lightweight Battery Powered Headlight for Kids & Adults for Running Fishing Camping https://amzn.eu/d/fSP6nG7

For outdoors and camping look for one of these Coleman northstar lights that run on unleaded petrol.

1668252090420.png

Another vote for Petzl: they have designing products for caving/climbing for decades now where reliability and longevity is key. I got a head torch from early 2000's which although the kids cracked the case it still working.
The one I have still uses lightbulbs but you can't go wrong with any of the new LEDs. They have a long burn time if not flooding /maxing the output and rechargeable (DUO RL - Headlamps | Petzl United Kingdom): I tend to buy the best stuff I can afford it and had no reason to replace these oldies I have as they still fit for my purposes. You can get ones with band a fitting which doesn't have the battery pack on the back (although they will stay in place regardless) and some superlight ones if that is a criteria. I used them for caving too where reliability and long lasting performance were crucial.

Latest posts

Back