HDMI connections

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about HDMI connections between a DVD player and TV? My friend has recently bought an LG HD-ready flat panel and an LG HD DVD player. He has wired it up using composite connections and separate audio and all was well. He then bought a pro-quality HDMI lead and connected the DVD to the TV using just that lead. The picture is superb, but the sound is a real crock! It doesn't seem to matter what settings we use on the DVD player, the sound is crackling (like it's peaking), both on 48 and 96KHz, on Bitstream and PCM.

I guess it can only be one of three things - the DVD player HDMI socket is duff, or the lead, or the TV, but is there anything else we haven't thought of? The TV doesn't seem to have a PCM setting, but the DVD player is supposed to be matched to it. Changing the video resolution has no effect on the sound quality (no surprise there), other than to appear to change the range of crackle. It's very disappointing for him that, having bought the latest technology, it gives a brilliant picture but such poor sound.

He's now managing by running the picture via HDMI and the sound through an amp, but the whole idea was to cut down the number of connections and peripherals needed. We'll take the DVD player back tomorrow (as it's the easiest option - the lead was special order due to the length), but any further suggestions/tests/thoughts most welcome.

TIA

Ray.

It does sound rather that you may have a dry joint on one of the connections somewhere, hopeflly in the lead because that would be easiest to replace. The thing to do if you can is swap out parts of the equation until you remove the problem hence identifying where the problem lies.
It may also be I guess that the sound output level is peaking as you say it sounds like. Are there any input / output level settings you can adjust?
Mike
reading your post again it does appear that the problem may lie in the tv end of things. Just a thought how close is the power connector to the audio input? Ive found that unshielded leads in close proximity can cause a crackling sound.

HDMI is basically both video and audio in pure digital form. I've no doubt that the majority of audio/visual buffs will tell you that using the HDMI for picture and putting the digital audio through an amp is the best way as the tv's audio is always going to be worse than a dedicated amp. Oh and contrary to belief the coaxial digital audio lead will give a warmer signal than the optical lead. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself.

One question... is any audio actually coming though at all or is it just crackling garbage. If it's just crackle it sounds like (no pun intended) that you are trying to listen to a digital signal through an analoge input. I've not tried the audio part of my plasma tv as I'm also one that uses a seperate amp for the audio soI've not come across your problem (in fact I have no speakers attached to the plasma at all).

Oh... just thought of another question... what are the make and model numbers of the dvd and tv.

mr":2d9px1oo said:
Are there any input / output level settings you can adjust?
Mike
We've been through the whole card on both the DVD output settings and the TV sound/input settings with no effect. The lead clicks home nicely in the back of the TV (rather like a USB connector), but hasn't got the same "feel" when connecting to the DVD socket. That's one of the reasons we're going to try and swap the DVD player first - the other reason is the routing of the lead, which is going to be a pain to replace. If we can swap the player and the fault persists, the lead is next - followed by the TV, I suppose :cry: What a caper!

Ray.

How much did the guy pay for the HD-DVD player? I'm personally waiting until this whole BluRay/HD-DVD battle has settled down before buying one as it's not exactly clear as to what the supply of DVDs in HD is going to be yet. It's good old Betamax/VHS all over again. :roll:

Neomorph":3dywes0q said:
One question... is any audio actually coming though at all or is it just crackling garbage.
Audio either comes through intermittently, or all the time with a crackly hiss, or just a crackle. On applause, it sounds like rain mixed in. Difficult to describe, but it sounds like digital audio does when it peaks.
Neomorph":3dywes0q said:
Oh... just thought of another question... what are the make and model numbers of the dvd and tv.
The TV is a plasma LG RZ 50PY10 and the DVD player is LG DNX190MH

Ray.

Ray tell your mate to forget the TV audio... it's pretty basic at best....

Audio
Output: 15 W x 2
AVL
Mono/Stereo/Dual
SRS/BBE
Bass/Treble/Balance
SSM-Sound Set Menu: Flat, Sports, Movie, Music, User
Mute

Doesnt do any dolby at all by the sounds of it. Better to put it through an AV amp as it will do a lot more. What amp has your friend got by the way?

Neomorph":3pkxgzzl said:
What amp has your friend got by the way?
Can't remember the make, I think it's either Sony or JVC, but it's a very large, dedicated AV amp and it really cranks it out.

I guess that - in the end - we'll dispense with the composite in favour of the HDMI for picture and run the sound through the amp, as you suggest.

Bloody annoying, though, especially as he was sold the DVD player on the basis of perfect DVD reproduction via the HDMI connector. :cry: :evil:

Ray.

My first accusatory point of the finger would be at the HDMI cable.

Any chance of borrowing another one (preferably a different make) to try?

Definitely worth trying avforums and a google search in case there is a known incompatibility between the two bits of equipment...

Jim

Would suggest possibly posting the question on
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/
You will almost certainly get an answer there its a professional AV forum. You have to join to post iirc but its worth the effort.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've joined Blue Room forums and posted there. Can't borrow another cable, special order due to length. Could always try a shorter one to see if any diff, I suppose.

Thanks again!

Ray.

So I see
be warned though they can be a cantankarous bunch, in fact one or two of them are the most miserable sods Ive ever had the misfortune to meet. Having said that they are in the minority and there is a wealth of expertise there and some generally friendly and helpful souls.

Argee":2tyiqzmi said:
Neomorph":2tyiqzmi said:
What amp has your friend got by the way?
Can't remember the make, I think it's either Sony or JVC, but it's a very large, dedicated AV amp and it really cranks it out.

I guess that - in the end - we'll dispense with the composite in favour of the HDMI for picture and run the sound through the amp, as you suggest.

Bloody annoying, though, especially as he was sold the DVD player on the basis of perfect DVD reproduction via the HDMI connector. :cry: :evil:

Ray.

Ray he's not losing out if he is using a proper AV amp... Hell, using the TV crappy sound is like buying a Jag and then putting a Mini engine in it... it would work but totally suck. I think you will find that the only people who don't use seperate amps are people who don't have them. I have a Denon amp and it's bloody amazing 7 channel surround compared with my top of the range plasma that can only do stereo.

The main reason for the HDMI cable is the digital video signal. As DVD is digital anyway a composite signal goes from digital at the player, converted to analogue through the composite lead and then converted back to digital at the plasma. Each conversion loses some video quality.

Now your HDMI lead never gets converted as it goes digital all the way. This means you get the picture shown on the plasma as it's meant to be.

BTW, how big is this guys room if he has a 50"? There is a good seating calculator that gives you your best seating distances. It surprised me how close you need to get to show true HDTV performance.

Neomorph":1y92iqib said:
Now your HDMI lead never gets converted as it goes digital all the way. This means you get the picture shown on the plasma as it's meant to be.
This was exactly the reason for getting the HDMI capability. The reason he's so miffed is not that the sound is inferior to the amp, but that it's totally rubbish. I know where he's coming from - if something should work, then it should and if it doesn't, let's do something about it.

I get the point about the TV set not being able to knock out sound comparable with the amp, nor did he expect it. What he did expect was that the sound would be as good as the TV on its own, but it simply isn't. His wife won't get involved in turning on three appliances and twiddling with three remotes just to watch a DVD, so it was also an attempt to simplify matters there and - for that reason also, doubly disappointing.

Neomorph":1y92iqib said:
BTW, how big is this guys room if he has a 50"? There is a good seating calculator that gives you your best seating distances. It surprised me how close you need to get to show true HDTV performance.
The room is purpose built as an entertainment room and previously housed a 50" back-projection set. It's fully surround-sound and properly lit too. DVDs play large part of the viewing and Sky HD arrives early June.

Thanks for the link to the calculator - I was surprised too! :eek:

Ray.

Exchanged the DVD player for another new unit - same problem exists, so another cable is next. Should've been first, I know, but the son got it and insisted that it would be OK - professional standard supplier, etc., etc. We'll see what a new lead does, then if it persists, the TV goes back!

Ray.

I'm guessing that what's causing it is a too high a signal level is coming out of the dvd player which will not change by replacing model for model. If this is the case replacing the tv and/or cable won't fix it. I had the same problem with my Pace cable tv box but at least you can reduce the volume on that.

Still it seems bad when you realise this isn't even conflicting makes as both are made by Lucky Goldstar (yes that's what the LG stands for and the reason they changed to LG :wink: ).

Back