hc260 warped outfeed table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caminoaustral

Reaction score
having struggled for hours yesterday to adjust a new set of planer blades I placed a level edge across the width of the outfeed table - to realise that it is approx 1mm lower in the centre than at the edges
Does anyone have any suggestions, other than ditching the whole machine, to remedy this? Can one get the alu tables reground anywhere, and if anyone has done this or has ideas of where I could get it done properly I'd be really grateful
Thanks
Andrew

I once flattened a cast table with a belt sander, checking often with a straight edge and feeler gauges. I used a belt sander with a skirt. It can take quite a while adjusting the tables so they are co planer but allowing for the slight twist.

I would also do some test pieces to see if is actually affecting surface planing, sometimes its still possible to get flat stock but maybe edging needs to be done using one particular spot.

Getting it ground wont always sort the problem out, it depends how well it is clamped -not that easy on a surface planer bed as they have all sorts of cast shapes, webs etc on the underside. I guess it would cost a fair bit too.

You don't say which hc 260 you have, if it's a newer version then a new table may be available,
Failing that you ought to have a chat with someone in an engineering shop to skim off the surface, but he'll need reference points to work from, even if it's the four corners.
The last alternative is to fill the low area in with a liquid metal, or if needs be a decent body filler and sand down with a
decent straight edged former.
Whatever method you choose remember that once you have skimmed the table off, it will be too low by that amount, so allow to use some shims to compensate at the table fixing points to bring it back up to its former working level(?)

HTH Regards Rodders

Are you confident about the level you used as a straight edge? First thing I'd do is validate that measurement.

But if you keep coming back to the same conclusion, that the top genuinely is dished by a full mill, then, if I couldn't buy replacement tables, I'd junk the machine and move on.

You could have it skimmed in an engineering shop, but that won't be cheap and taking a mill from the edges of the table wouldn't leave a lot of meat on the bone, so you'd be left with flimsy and suspect tables. Using a two pack car body filler as Rodders suggested is an ingenious option, but it's a big job requiring many hours of painstaking work to get back into tolerance, and realistically, how long would it last before the vibration and twisting inherent in operating the machine causes it all to just crack and drop off?

It's a 2 year old metabo hc260 and to be honest edges pretty well on thinner stock, but I noticed a problem recently planing a 5 inch wide piece of oak
Thanks for all the suggestions I may contact metabo direct to see what a replacement out feed table comes in at, guessing it won't be covered under any guarantee

If you've had it from new I'd be very disappointed at such a large discrepancy. Do you know if it had the problem from new or have you only just noticed it?

As you suggest a conversation with metabo probably well worth having.

Latest posts

Back