Hazardous waste question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just taken delivery of a skip and read the small print I was surprised to see that TV's are regarded as hazardous waste and that they can't go into the skip. Does anyone know what is 'hazardous' about a TV? I always thought the tubes were full of vacuum.

Paint is also classed as hazardous. Now I can understand solvent based paints falling into this category but what about waterbased paints? I thought that that was the whole raison d'etre for their introduction?

Hazarding a guess here, but I think it may be something to do with the tube imploding (or exploding :? ) and showering glass around, or maybe the skip will reject any TV thats had a reality show on it :lol: :lol: - Rob

The WEEE Regulations (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) require this kind of thing to be disposed of in certain ways these days. Electronic components like transistors contain all kinds of nasty chemicals like arsenic that leach out into the ground/water table if just chucked in a land-fill. Maybe that's why.

Paint should be OK to go in a landfill if it is only dried residue but they won't accept liquid stuff. I'm guessing that a skip hire company won't be interested in quibbling about whether or not it's water-based and will have slapped a blanket ban on "paint".

Scott (who's absolutley NO expert on the matterby the way! :D )

From a quick google it appears that CRTs are made out of leaded glass, and an old one can contain 2kg of lead in total.

Paint should be OK to go in a landfill if it is only dried residue but they won't accept liquid stuff.

I work in the liquid chemical industry - regulations are completely different for solid waste compared to liquid waste.As said,solid waste can go into a landfill site,liquid cannot.We sometimes end up with residues to dispose of,and it is so much easier if it goes solid and can just be shovelled into a skip :wink:
We move a lot of waste solvents from the Irish pharmaceutical industry,and that is covered by TFS (Trans Frontier Shipment) regulations - you have to be a licenced approved carrier,using a licenced approved haulier,apply in advance for permission to move on an approved route,and get permission from the County Council of every county that you travel through.. :(

Andrew

Soapy wrote:
Surely a skip is the right place for a tv with a reality prog on it.
Anyone who's got a TV that's had a reality show on it would have to try a lot harder than a skip when the time comes to ditch it, as even the skips won't touch 'em - can't blame the poor old skip :lol: - Rob

I tried to donate a perfectly usable, and in very good condition, if a little bulky, stereo cassette radio with 2" B&W TV to the local charity shops. None would take any sort of electrical equipment without a valid test certificate. I now fear it will end up in landfill somewhere.

Andy

Some charity shops will take electrical goods - there's one at the bottom end of the Old Kent Road that will.

Back