Have you a favourite Single Malt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Regarding the tongue-in-cheek remark about my whisky habits,

I just wondered about a consensus.

I prefer a nice strong rum, but I confess to a liking for a smooth Glenfarclas whisky.
Single Malts last me a long, long time, and that's not only because of their price! :D

Bottoms up...
trink21.gif

Strathisla, Glenmorangie, Macallan, Lugavulin come to mind - plus others.

A few years back we were invited for a meal with some acquaintances whose husband supposedly had a large single malt collection. Looking foreword to a nice tasting I soon realised why his collection was so big - he never drank the stuff - we were offered blended Bells!!

Rod

Harbo":1ywjpddx said:
Strathisla, Glenmorangie, Macallan, Lugavulin come to mind - plus others.

A few years back we were invited for a meal with some acquaintances whose husband supposedly had a large single malt collection. Looking foreword to a nice tasting I soon realised why his collection was so big - he never drank the stuff - we were offered blended Bells!!

Rod

Shudder...

Never mind Rod. I empathise.

I used to class Port Ellen, from Islay, as a favourite. Peat, seaweed and iodine. Everything that normally characterises an Islay malt, in double measure. But it is now silent, and the whisky that remains is getting really quite expensive.

Happily, I've just got my hands on a bottle of Kilchoman Spring 2011 Release 5 year old. It is a new distillery (opened 2005). It has a similar character to Port Ellen, perhaps not surprisingly because, as well as their own maltings, they use malt from Port Ellen. Less happily, it now seems to be sold out, but I'll keep an eye on their progress :D

Hmmm, a good question. If you take a look in the whiskey cabinet, there's a couple of Balvenies (incclluding a yummy 17 yr old rum cask finish) and a couple of Taliskers amongst the bottles. But a single cask Highland Park from Adelphi has to be my favourite (now long out of production), closely followed by a 26yr old Hillside that I bought with my first paycheque post-uni. It is another cask strength beastie that persuasded me the value of adding a splash of water. I bought it in '98 for the princely sum of about £65, I still have about a quarter of it left, and last year I found a bottle in the Green Welly Shop, Tyndrum, were the price had gone up a little to £450! Not sure it's worth that much, but it's still damn tasty :)
Cheers,
Adam

p.s. Sheffield Tony - Have you sampled the Kilchoman yet? I have just finished off a bottle of their previous release, and thought that it was still somewhat lacking in depth. Smoky, peaty, iodiney yes, and with plenty of potential, just not quite there yet. In contrast, the Ardbeg Very Young (oh how I wish I had bought a few bottles when it was released!) was an absolute explosion of flavour, still rough around the edges, but packing all the subtlety for which Ardbeg is famous ;)

Coo, some nice mallts there Kalimna. I like Highland Park, but I think in part it is from memory of visiting and watching the still being lit up with a rolled up copy of the Daily Mail (best possible use for it IMHO) !

I have tried the Kilchoman, but only a glass so far. I was impressed, partly by it's likeness to Port Ellen, but I think I need to spend more time studying it ...

I had a bottle of the Penderyn last Christmas, which I have to say I found a bit lacking in character.

Laphroaig was my favourite until I went all Japanese and tried a Nika. mmmmmmmhhhhhhh

Before you mock try it!

Lidl single malt "Ben Bracken" £17.99 and a free tasting glass to boot this week.

And yes I do like Glen Morangie, Talisker, Highland Park and a few of the cask strength beauties. :D :deer :deer

I heard, or read somewhere that whisky isn't a Scottish 'invention/discovery', as might be thought. The process apparently originated in Yorkshire.
Don't know how true that is, but who cares really? The Scots seem to have it nailed. :wink:

Benchwayze":30kn0jvj said:
I heard, or read somewhere that whisky isn't a Scottish 'invention/discovery', as might be thought. The process apparently originated in Yorkshire.
Don't know how true that is, but who cares really? The Scots seem to have it nailed. :wink:

Ireland was distilling Uisce beatha at least a hundred years before Scotland and grape growing countries earlier still. I don't know what Yorkshire would have used. Rhubarb maybe?. Slainte.

My tipple is Laphraoig every time.

whiskywill":3jmydfq7 said:
Benchwayze":3jmydfq7 said:

My tipple is Laphraoig every time.

And why not indeed. I was just looking at Masterofmalt. They have a tempting Laphroaig 18 year-old for £59.76.
And that's coming from a Rum drinker! :D

A favourite topic of mine. I was a long standing member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society but left as I was spending so much money on them. In general I like most Scottish malts and not Irish but have drunk lots of both.

All time favourite is Lagavulin closely followed by Caol Isla. However Balvenie is currently in favour and I always have Laphroig in the cupboard. I like Springbank but not enough to pay the prices, 18yr old Macallan is a decent compromise but the 25yr is better.

I really enjoyed Ardbeg "Lord of the Isles" as a special treat a few years ago but again can't justify the cost. Regular Ardbeg is quite good but does not displace my top 5

Rosebank. Got to be Rosebank. Triple distilled, and smoother than a smooth thing. Trouble is the distillery is closed and demolished, with the stills being stolen by metal thieves. Such a tragedy, my stock is being eked out in the hope that it lasts the rest of my lifetime. I had the presence of mind to buy a few cases when it was cheap, now it's not.

If you insist on a Highland malt, then I enjoy Old Pulteney, from Wick. Can be bought at supermarket prices and always a favourite for my decanter.

Slainte mhath !

Robert

Back