Has anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum purchased from,

Quikfast.co.uk ?

The reason I ask is they have table saw blades at.......wait for it.....

3 for £11.50!!!!!!!

Mike

Maltrout

I know exactly how you reacted..I did to...
Bargain or Fools Gold??????

Then ....blow me I find...

Silverline...part of Transtools.....
Similar blades at similar price!!!!!!!!!

Now the only problem is the kerf, as the perform from Axminster are tooooooo thin for any riving knife.
I e mailed for more details.

Just hope some one has tried these to get some feed back.

Mike

Mike

I was at Silverline's HQ not that long ago and it looks like they're totally price-oriented. That may not be a bad thing and cheap can sometimes be OK, but when there's bits of carbide whizzing around at 120MPH plus, I don't want to be in the way if a tooth breaks loose.

When it comes to any form of consumable cutter (router bits and saw blades of all types), I try to get the best quality I can. :)

Ray.

If you're trying to save a bit of money on buying the Freud or CMT blades, I've found the Perform (now Axcalibur) blades from Axminster are very good for the money. I've had one in my mitre saw for a few months now.

Argee, opa,

The problem with what you say is....
How do you know what a good quality item is today?
You say you spend more for the best quality, but
What is the best quality....especially saw blade?

most of them are made in China....
Who controls quality there?
So, that saw blade wizzin' round counts for nothing, whatever you have printed on it's face.

As for Axminster, I agree that the perform blades are ok....
but take a mic to the blades and measure the kerf.....advertised for my machine at 3.00 mm but only 2.2 in reality, meaning work sticks in the riving knife.
So far the only ones I find at budget prices are the Trend range.

Mike

Cheaper than getting them sharpened. But I stick to well known brands, you can pick up blades on ebay now and again. I got 2 305mm for my DeWalt 718 for £20 each brand new :shock:

Also managed to get a new (old stock) Norton diamond blade for my 9" grinder, for £30, believe me some of the (so called) diamond blades out there wouldn't cut through butter.

I won't use Silverline, its all rubbish.

OPJ":3g8mofl6 said:
If you're trying to save a bit of money on buying the Freud or CMT blades, I've found the Perform (now Axcalibur) blades from Axminster are very good for the money. I've had one in my mitre saw for a few months now.

I bought a Perform blade for my TS. It cuts fine but the noise is excruciating - not the actual cutting, just the whistling as it spins. So replaced it with a CMT blade, also from Axminster. Definitely worth the extra - it has all manner of wiggly expansions slots but is very quiet

dicktimber":1cc0awjt said:
Argee,

The problem with what you say is.... How do you know what a good quality item is today? You say you spend more for the best quality, but what is the best quality....especially saw blade?

most of them are made in China.... Who controls quality there?
I don't see the problem with what I said. Perhaps you have examples of good cheap saw blades? I've never been able to buy one that was both good quality and cheap - the two do not go together, end of story. You might be lucky to get an offer, but your search is likely to be fruitless, unless you want throw-away, frequently-replaced stuff - false economy long-term anyway.

The point I was trying to make - which seemed obvious to me - was that you should not compromise safety by making price the main factor. I know what a good quality item is, because I've had the experience of using both good and bad - and I know which I prefer. For example, CMT (my blade of choice for many years) uses the best raw materials - super 42-44 Rockwell hardened steel from Germany and Cerametal micrograin carbide. Using the best materials is a very good start to making a good quality blade. I'm not a metallurgist, I've got no connection with CMT, but it seems commonsense to me.

Quality control is a matter for the individual company and is not dependent on the manufacturing location - a car made in Chekoslovakia, with QC carried out locally by Germans, was a recent "Car of the Year." Some expensive and well-regarded brands are outsourced to the Far East and China nowadays, not always to their detriment.

dicktimber":1cc0awjt said:
So, that saw blade wizzin' round counts for nothing, whatever you have printed on it's face.
That's nonsense. You (mostly) get what you pay for and I'm happy to pay for CMT blades.

Ray

Argee,
You make some valid points.

Trend Craft Range

microgranular tungsten carbide tips
body hardened and tempered
blades roller tensioned to prevent distortion
high grade alloy steel plate body precission ground to maintain flatness
front bevel tooth form

Good life span from experience.
£13.

All these terms you ar all quoting like

microgranular tungsten carbide tips

Cerametal micrograin carbide

do any of you actually know what you are talking about ? its like all those womens hair/body product adverts that come up with all sorts of names for their products.

Its a salesman dream, give a product a fancy name and it'll sell.

busy builder":24x6mjjt said:
All these terms you ar all quoting like Cerametal micrograin carbide do any of you actually know what you are talking about ?
Well, I know that Ceremetal is a highly-respected company in Luxembourg that produces carbide for industrial use. However, by your dismissive tone, you seem to have assumed that I'm a moron, susceptible to a salesperson's whim, so I'll defer to your vast experience and knowledge. :roll:

Ray

Argee":1et6l0cb said:
busy builder":1et6l0cb said:
All these terms you ar all quoting like Cerametal micrograin carbide do any of you actually know what you are talking about ?
Well, I know that Ceremetal is a highly-respected company in Luxembourg that produces carbide for industrial use. However, by your dismissive tone, you seem to have assumed that I'm a moron, susceptible to a salesperson's whim, so I'll defer to your vast experience and knowledge. :roll:

Ray

No ray I'm not calling anyone a moron, I'm sorry if it came across that way.
But as you say, Ceremetal produces carbide, that in itself doesn't make a good tool, does it ?

busy builder":36wwpbw4 said:
No ray I'm not calling anyone a moron, I'm sorry if it came across that way. But as you say, Ceremetal produces carbide, that in itself doesn't make a good tool, does it ?
They've been doing it since 1931. That makes them reliable in my opinion. As I said earlier: "Using the best materials is a very good start to making a good quality blade."

RG

The saw blades I have here at work would equate to about one tooth per blade going on 3 blades for £15!
I only use european blases, either from Leitz or Leuco. Both of these blades last 40% longer between sharpenings than any other blades I have used.

I have silverline blades and they cut wood, no argument there, I still have them in the wrapper as they came as a multi pack. I USE Trend or freud blades on anything other than firewood. It's a personal choice but I would suggest you try to compare them side to side, then you will know, it really is that simple :!:
(I am aware there are other quality blades available)

I usually use Trend as they do supply a blade of the correct dimensions.
Most of the post have been about integrity quality, but dimensions are as important.
If the blade is ground with a below size kerf, the work will bind on the riving knife.
That should be a retailer's responsibility to check what it has bought in?
This has happened on my Axminster perform blades, and Axminster admit all there perform stock is not manufactured to the advertised dimensions for my particular blade.
Quality is not just the responsibility of the manufacturer. It's the responsibility of everyone involved with that product up to the point of supply to the customer.
Carbide tips are hard, but brittle. Microcracks can occur through banging the blades together in storage.
As for buying from a reputable manufacturer, the days of relying on a brand name for quality are long gone.
The market is run on profit and loss...fullstop.
If price can be engineered out it will be.
Argee is quite correct in some of his comments.
But we old men should remember that, nothing stays the same and eventually what you thought was ok will be superseded with either the same quality at a lower price, or higher quality with a premium.
That's why low pricestuff gets reviewed...just incase it's good.
Like the Hyundai i10, £6,500, air con, top of it's class for impact, £35 year road tax and has a 5 year transferrable warranty..and a waiting list of buyers
Bring back high speed steel for saw blades, did I hear you say??????

Mike

Back