Has anyone seen this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craylad

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building some wardrobes for a friend. They are to be made using the same method as some existing wardrobes in his daughters bedroom. The doors are made from 12mm sheet MDF with a 12mm softwood frame attached to the front to give the appearance of shaker style On the inside of the doors on the handle side there is a bar that runs from the top to bottom. Does anyone know what it is and where I can buy it?

Tension1.jpg

Tension3.jpg

Top.jpg

Looks like some form of tensioning device to take a cup/bow out of the door, Have a look at Hafele, they do stiffeners for large flat doors.

I would suggest glueing MDF strips to the sheet of MDF if you want to avoid bowing.

Jason

Looks to me like a top lock! If the door bows a stop is fitted to the base to align the door at the bottom, then the top lock aligns the top edge hiding the bow.

My friend is a painter and decorator (I have yet to see any brush strokes in his work it's that good). He suggested softwood because it took him ages to rub down the edge of the MDF to a smooth finish. The other alternative is to edgeband the cut edge of the MDF. I have had a quick look on Hafele but couldn't find it yet. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Barry

it is a planofit door straightening set from hafele

they supply it in two different lengths to suit different door lengths

its used to stop doors bowing, or retrofitted to remove bowing

large doors only 12mm thick suggests the former

I suppose they used softwood as its stiffer than the mdf so stiffens it up.

I used to make cupboard doors that way years ago when I was starting out but you really have to glue the front peices on well. I have seen ones that other people have made that are not glued well and the edges start to de-laminate.

Now I have a tablesaw I make them the traditional was with small tenons, much better looking and very strong.

I could do with one of those door straighteners on my workshop door where the sun shines on it its bowed and the rain gets in the bottom, wonder if they work on framed ledged and braced doors.

Back