Has anyone seen MDF like this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a sheet of black coloured MDF yesterday, for an MFT table and a desktop for my son. This is the only product I can find locally and the pallet was labelled so I felt sure I could get a Spec. sheet and maybe even finishing details. Turns out the label doesn't belong to the product and the supplier is being difficult and won't give me a name.
It has two different faces looking from the side, one, the thin lighter stripe, appears to be a lamination of very thin layers. In reality, it is probably more dense and reflects more light so it only appears lighter in the image. The faces otherwise look identical.
I would mainly like to know the difference between the two faces but I have never seen anything like this.

Attachments

• black mdf.jpg
    black mdf.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
All the MDF that i have used in the past is the same material throughout the board and not laminated as yours appears to be.

I’ve just had a look online and I’m surprised to find black MDf but it’s black all over , yours seems like regular MDf on the faces but black in between. Bit strange but it could be imported from overseas.

I suspect it has a higher density layer for better paint finish or for gluing or maybe as a balance for veneering the opposing side ?.
Could be a custom spec for a particular job.
I find the Medite stuff has a fluffier core and more dense edges but its not as pronounced as that. The black stuff is usually valcromat which is painfully expensive.

Ollie

@petermillard may have some ideas after his recent jaunt to the Finsa factory - which seems to make some interesting MDF products?
Nope, never seen anything like that. If it was a ~3-metre board and definitely black, not very dark grey, then it’s not likely to be from Finsa as I’m told they only supply black Fibracolour in 2440x1220.

Back