Has anyone ever made a violin, viola, cello etc?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
Incredible pieces of work. Was watching a video on YouTube today of someone making a viola from scratch.

Considering the talent we have here on the forum, I was wondering if anyone here ever has done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexam":19avndm2 said:
Good chance someone will pop up on this, but the art of making musical instruments is really facinating. I have spent lots of time watching such video's even though that skill is way beyond my own capabilities. A number of videos can be found here https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... %20violins

Malcolm

Thanks for the link, I totally agree.
I'd absolutely love to be able to make an instrument like that, as a musician myself.

I played violin for 15 years in my youth and have three violins including one very good one. If someone on here has made one, I'd practice again just to play it if they let me.

That would be utterly amazing. They are astonishing pieces of art.

A luthier friend of mine says that it's always a bit of a hit and miss. You make 2 violins from the same stock and one sounds good, the other so-so.
Why this is the case, no one knows.
What I'm trying to say is that the chances of your first violin being anything other than a VSO (violin-shaped object) are slim.
That does not mean that you can not enjoy the 'journey'. Just don't get your hopes too high.

Probably better to make a ukulele first; the top and bottom plate of a uke are planed-flat-boards, so you can avoid all that plate carving - there's still plenty of side bending and neck shaping and glueing to practise with...

Here's a practised amateur violin maker "knocking up" a ukulele...

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Stringed_In ... ic=33&st=0

It's easy - for him!

BugBear

CHJ":br0oii7y said:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/making-a-ukulele-t100091.html

Do a forum search for other instruments.

Thanks for the link!

YorkshireMartin":2bxsgibq said:
I played violin for 15 years in my youth and have three violins including one very good one. If someone on here has made one, I'd practice again just to play it if they let me.

That would be utterly amazing. They are astonishing pieces of art.

They certainly are, thanks for the input.

dzj":f94zsjhd said:
A luthier friend of mine says that it's always a bit of a hit and miss. You make 2 violins from the same stock and one sounds good, the other so-so.
Why this is the case, no one knows.
What I'm trying to say is that the chances of your first violin being anything other than a VSO (violin-shaped object) are slim.
That does not mean that you can not enjoy the 'journey'. Just don't get your hopes too high.

That's interesting, how strange..
And yeah, well, I think it would be some time before I ever did attempt it - a lot of practice is in order for my basic joinery skills! :)

bugbear":1va5qjmk said:
Probably better to make a ukulele first; the top and bottom plate of a uke are planed-flat-boards, so you can avoid all that plate carving - there's still plenty of side bending and neck shaping and glueing to practise with...

It's easy - for him!

BugBear

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.
And yes, they certainly make it look incredibly easy don't they!

LFS19":hp139hau said:
bugbear":hp139hau said:

It's easy - for him!

BugBear

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.
And yes, they certainly make it look incredibly easy don't they!

If you attempt a uke I suggest you don't start with a soprano. The side bends are very tight (if you look at the thread in the quote you'll see that the experienced violin maker has to fix the cracks he made!) and getting decent volume is challenging. This makers bracing looks way OTT to me - compare my own thread on this board, linked above, where my bracing is 50% smaller in all dimensions. And I could have gone lighter, maybe should, except this is for a 9 year old who will find a slightly less responsive instrument easier to control.

A concert uke is a good compromise. Only a little bigger, but far, far easier to make work as an instrument.

Archtop instruments like violins and jazz guitars I haven't tried yet, but are completely different animals. Tops and backs are carved, and the thickness varies depending on the properties of the wood. I reckon it would take making a dozen to get some feel for how to do it well.

There is a user on the sawmill creek site (George Wilson) in the states who has made a bunch of stringed instruments (including violins, as well as some more obscure stuff like a viola da gamba). He's made a bunch of them with hand tools only. I don't know if anyone on here is looking for guidance, but I'm sure he'd be glad to talk about it if you were.

Yes. Having made guitars since I was 17 (just as a side line) and played various instruments over the years I got very interested in violin and have been to Cremona numerous times. I did a violin making course (an introduction really) in Cremona for a week (10 days actually) and have also done a bow making course (surprisingly difficult). I have never made a villain without assistance, but it is something I plan to do if and when I retire!

(PS the luthiery didn't help much and hand cutting and carving a scroll is a lot more difficult than I expected, to do a perfect job.) PPS It is impossible to do the course unless you either speak Italian fluently or have a fluent wife (as I do) to help.

FWIW, an old colleague who was an engineer also played cello and when he retired, actually made one from scratch. Never heard it played, as he died shortly after it was finished, but folk said it sounded OK . Possibly the bigger instruments are actually more forgiving?

Around here lots of people who are into folk musik make their own fiddles.
Some better and some worse...... most have at least decent sound though the outside may look a bit homemade.

The old sawyer and carpenter who taught me log building has made a very good fiddle for himself as well as a nyckelharpa (a traditional Swedish instrument). He is a pretty good folk musician but he thought good instruments were a bit too expensive so he took some evening classes to learn the basics and then he just made them.
He says the trick is to use bone glue (hide glue) so then when (not if) you have botched things up you can heat the glue joint until it comes apart and shift out the faulty part with a better one.

I also know an old car mechanic and blacksmith who has made at least a dozen fiddles. He started by forging the tools he needed from scrap iron.

heimlaga":j5mhnj8r said:
I also know an old car mechanic and blacksmith who has made at least a dozen fiddles. He started by forging the tools he needed from scrap iron.

I'm always a little bit sceptical about these tales of exceptional self sufficiency. My grandparents lived in northern Canada and it was grandfather's proud boast that the only things they bought were window glass, salt, and nails. Even as a small child I'd look around at their extensive range of consumer goods and realise this might be a little bit of an exageration!

Back