harrogate show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what level of discounts are usually on offer at the show? I'm fairly close by but would be looking at £30-40 travel and entry costs. Would i likely get my money back on a trend or triton 1/2" router and benchtop table for example? i.e. current prices for those are c£400-500, could i expect discounts of more than £50?

fezman":tr8y3tsy said:
what level of discounts are usually on offer at the show? I'm fairly close by but would be looking at £30-40 travel and entry costs. Would i likely get my money back on a trend or triton 1/2" router and benchtop table for example? i.e. current prices for those are c£400-500, could i expect discounts of more than £50?
It really depends. I don't think the prices of the Trend stuff was that keen. Not sure about Triton. If they have a demo model on stand they want to part with its always worth making an offer.

I think the Festool deals were good because they typically do the Apple thing of keeping their prices high and the only time you get decent discounts is at events like this as they aren't allowed to advertise discounted down prices. Plus, the stuff on the stand was a lot of open box type stuff. It wasn't actually the Festool stand last year that discounting Festool stuff, it was Alan Wadkins I think.

I am going Saturday. If you tell me what you want I can get a price. If it is a good price, you could nip along on Sunday.

I think that on most things like that you will get a better or comparable deal online.

I think the days of mega-discounts at shows are long gone. There just isn't the profit margins there once were.

When I moved to Nottingham in 1976 there were, Hopkinson's, Mibro, Black's and Poole's Tools. All proper tool shops. All now gone. There is B&Q and the other sheds. They closed because they didn't make money, or at least, did not provide a satisfactory return on investment. That is bad news in one respect and good news in another. I suspect that tools are a lot cheaper now than they were then, in real terms, even now, after the devaluation of the pound.

My first router was an Elu MOF96. It cost a hundred and something quid. Now you can get a clone for a fraction of that, and that after 30-odd years of inflation. OK, the clones are not the same build quality, I grant you, but you get my point.

If there isn't the margin, we can't expect the discounts, I fear.

Steve, who loves a bargin.

Thanks for the feedback all. Marcros thanks for the offer, but Saturday is the only day i can make it too, I will most likely go, and if the prices are not better than online then i will purchase when i get home.

Marcos wrote
I am going Saturday. If you tell me what you want I can get a price. If it is a good price, you could nip along on Sunday.
I'm looking for a new Record Coronet Lathe and the SC4 chuck
If you see any decent offers....
I could get there on Sunday

So far I have emailed 4 Record dealers re above goods; only 2 have bothered to reply :(

you may be too late, but the ex demo/display one would be the cheapest bet!

Steve Maskery":2j8tm04u said:
I think the days of mega-discounts at shows are long gone. There just isn't the profit margins there once were.

When I moved to Nottingham in 1976 there were, Hopkinson's, Mibro, Black's and Poole's Tools. All proper tool shops. All now gone. There is B&Q and the other sheds. They closed because they didn't make money, or at least, did not provide a satisfactory return on investment. That is bad news in one respect and good news in another. I suspect that tools are a lot cheaper now than they were then, in real terms, even now, after the devaluation of the pound.

My first router was an Elu MOF96. It cost a hundred and something quid. Now you can get a clone for a fraction of that, and that after 30-odd years of inflation. OK, the clones are not the same build quality, I grant you, but you get my point.

If there isn't the margin, we can't expect the discounts, I fear.

Steve, who loves a bargin.

Pools for Tools! that takes me back, it was a fantastic shop full of things of wonder for a small boy.
Bought my first plane from there in 1974 I think, goes all misty eyed and gazes into the distance....

Pete

Cordy":dcbyvmd0 said:
Marcos wrote
I'm looking for a new Record Coronet Lathe and the SC4 chuck
If you see any decent offers....
I could get there on Sunday

So far I have emailed 4 Record dealers re above goods; only 2 have bothered to reply :(

I went today. They do have an offer on the new Coronet Lathe. Its the same price (999) but they are throwing in the stand for free.

I am actually considering this lathe, it is actually a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Its about the same size as the Jet 1221VS, but with the advantage that the head swivels. Its a pretty sweet lathe, very smooth and well engineered. Given the price of the Jet I still think its a little over priced. Probably 800 is more sensible.

fezman":3q0cpw14 said:

More of a chance Sunday i would say ..

Teepeg":38g9c22l said:
fezman":38g9c22l said:

More of a chance Sunday i would say ..

I hope so as I am popping in on Sunday,
I have seen the floor plan as shown on the Site ---However it does not show who or where abouts any of the demonstrators stand area is and I can't seem to find any mention of numbers mentioned by the exhibitors as to what stand they will be on. Maybee it's m being blind again ! ! ??
Have not got a lot of time to spend at the show looking for a particular stand.
Timber

Just got back.
There are some reasonable deals, but nothing that made it worth my while.

I wanted a trend t11ek - show price was £339 incl 35 piece router set (which i didn't want) - amazon price £289 without the set.

The CRT/Mk3 benchtop router table was £209.95 - and they wouldn't budge on price, even when i told em amazon were £0.95 cheaper delivered, and that it had recently been £180

The WRT (which is too large in size for me - but looked very good) - was £350 - and is currently cheaper at FFX - £319 if you are quick. If i had the space I would buy this.

So it looks like amazon or ffx are getting my business this week.

As a relative newb - it was worth the trip to go and see all the exhibitors and their wares.

If you are going tomorrow I would recommend getting there early. It was fine getting in at 9.15 this morning, but as i came out there was a couple of mile tailback into Harrogate.

Visited the show yesterday, wow it was busy IMO compared to previoud years!! had a shopping list but came away with almost nothing as I also found prices were in general higher than on line in ‘proper brick and mortar’ shops. However, did buy some Myfell gear and got a gallon of beer thrown in as well as some extra blades. Their prices had been pitched just under anything j could find online in the U.K. or Europe.

I find the shows are most useful for being able to see all the stuff and make comparisons of things under the same roof.

Had a good day today, very very busy this year, gave more money to British Hardwoods and a couple of the old tool stalls, nice chips in the cafe...as thick as a plumber's thumb! Met and chatted to some nice people.

[rant/]
I do think it's about time they banned the little rucksack type bags people seem to be wearing these days. Must be awfully convenient for woodies leaving both hands free when looking at stalls, but when your standing next-to/behind them and they start turning around and unintentionally knocking into anyone nearby it can quickly get very annoying, particularly when there are a few. Harrogate wasn't too bad today but it really spoiled Cressing Temple for me earlier in the year, it was overrun.[/rant]

I thought that it was hard to get around. I think that a separate demonstration area or hall would be better because people watching demos were blocking the walkways.

I bought a few bits and pieces. no real bargains, but useful to get those things that I wanted all the same.

marcros":20c96925 said:
I thought that it was hard to get around. I think that a separate demonstration area or hall would be better because people watching demos were blocking the walkways.

I bought a few bits and pieces. no real bargains, but useful to get those things that I wanted all the same.

Completely agree. I'd had enough after an hour. It is in serious need of a rethink with a demo schedule in break out rooms.

Some stalls are way too cramped as well. The Axminster stand basically had all the workshop machinery bunched together in a tiny spot, I couldn't get to the TS250 I wanted to look at. They needed twice the space they had.

Trying to stop to see something like the Veritas guys demo and talk about the kit is an ordeal as people are trying to get through the general hubbub. A shame because there is good stuff on offer.

The Axminster stand seemed very busy, i had to visit it a few times before i was able to talk with any of the staff ..

Back