Hardwood suppliers near Edinburgh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niallmb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and reasonably new to woodworking.
Most of my time so far has been spent turning but I'm starting to do some furniture stuff and other projects.

At the minute, I'm struggling to buy hardwood. I can't find anywhere local and I'd rather not buy online (unless that's my only option). I'd love to find a local or semi local supplier to buy from if possible.

Does anyone have any local suggestions?

The wood Place aka Lanarkshire hardwoods is not far from you. Never made it down to them so can comment /give you a review.

F.

There`s also Brodies sawmill and shop at Inver, near Dunkeld. Not exactly local, but just off the A9, so an easy enough drive up from Edinburgh.

Ian

If you check out the Association of Scottish Hardwood Sawmills out you can find several sawmills not too far away.

Mike

You have a choice of several depending on how you define local. Lanarkshire hardwoods are between carstairs junction and Balerno. There are also 3or 4 in and around dunfermline but are fairly small time operators and also in glenrothes, then there are a couple of the national suppliers who have some hardwood but not much choice such as thornbridge on leith walk. rembrandt at seafield. The gardeners at holyrood sometimes have stuff they are happy to give away. they are located on the first left after the carpark at the bottom of arthur's seat, you could try them but it is mostly lumps for turning that they have.
hth

There are quite a few good yards around Dunkeld, in particular you can get the best Elm for sale anywhere in the UK. if I can drive there from Hampshire then you can make the trip from Edinburgh!

Thanks everyone, looks like a wee trip or 2 are in order. I work in Perth so Dunkeld is probably doable in a long lunch break.

I've picked up some good stuff from Scottish Wood at Oakly before: http://www.scottishwood.co.uk/ . A little detour from Perth to Edinburgh, but no more than going up to Dunkeld.

They have a cabin with loose boards that you can go in and pick up - usually plenty of oak and randomly other things depending on what they have felled recently. Or they can cut and dimension to order (which I've used a few times for bigger pieces).

Haven't been up to Brodies (at Dunkeld) for wood yet, but likely to be doing so soon :)

Back