Hardwood suppliers in the South East....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo8604

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
..... or anywhere in the UK who will post for a reasonable price!

I'm after a couple of pieces of Beech to have a go at re-making the wooden plane kit I received from my secret santa but I'm having difficulty finding a supplier for 2 pieces of 3x3 about 8inches long. I actually need 8 inch x 2-1/4 inch x 2-1/2 inch as per the instructions but I want to allow for cock ups.

Does anyone know of any suppliers? Everywhere I look, the turning blanks are too small and one supplier quoted me £30 is that about right?

TIA
Damian

Well done for having the commitment to take a second run at it!

Let me rummage around the off-cut bin and see what I've got, I'm sure there'll be something that'll do the job without a silly price tag attached to it...in fact without any price tag at all!

damo8604":tln7gl0y said:
..... or anywhere in the UK who will post for a reasonable price!

I'm after a couple of pieces of Beech to have a go at re-making the wooden plane kit I received from my secret santa but I'm having difficulty finding a supplier for 2 pieces of 3x3 about 8inches long. I actually need 8 inch x 2-1/4 inch x 2-1/2 inch as per the instructions but I want to allow for cock ups.

Does anyone know of any suppliers? Everywhere I look, the turning blanks are too small and one supplier quoted me £30 is that about right?

TIA
Damian

That seems a bit steep. Home of wood do 6 pieces of 3x3x12 for £30!

Hopefully Custard can sort you out.

Hello Damian, you can have

Swiss Pear, 75x75, lovely straight grained timber, easy to work but maybe a touch soft for a plane body
Mahogany, 90x90, the unobtainable Brazilian stuff, straight grained, very stable, again maybe a shade softer than ideal but unless you're using the tool every day it would be okay
Apple, 80x80, the timber of choice for some plane makers, straight grained, surprisingly hard for a fruit wood
Hard Maple, 75x75,
Beech, 60x60 or 30mm thick (quarter sawn, straight grained) which you could laminate up

Let me know which timber you'd prefer.

Wow thank you Custard!

From your list it would appear that the apple would be the best choice no?

If you PM me your paypal address I will gladly reimburse you the postage, thank you very much!

marcros":3vlnv9ot said:
That seems a bit steep. Home of wood do 6 pieces of 3x3x12 for £30!

Hopefully Custard can sort you out.

Thanks for the heads up on Home of wood, it seems I have now found a supplier and resource of information for when I get my lathe (tomorrow....... all things being equal)

Agreed, nice gesture. I am just amazed you have any offcuts left. All mine have been chucked in the burner the last week or so.Was even eyeing up the roof trusses at one point...

I agree with the above comment regarding custards very kind offer.
it's so refreshing when people are generous with not only time but offcuts, old tools etc.
I've been fortunate enough to receive some generous offers from family friends and this forum, it always humbles me.
I do my best to offer my help to others when I can to hopefully continue the pay it forward gesture

marcros":xiewczrj said:
Home of wood do 6 pieces of 3x3x12 for £30!
It can be nice timber from there too. As a word of caution; their timber is simply air dried which is OK for most woodturning, but wouldn't really be suitable to use to build a 'woodie' from until after some prolonged acclimation to the workshop humidity.

Latest posts

Back