Hardwood garden bench with croquet storage. (kinda WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superunknown

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the current project I am working on. Thought might be interesting to share some pics. :)

The timber used is Sapele and it will have an exterior Osmo oil finish.
I had a guide size from the client and it had to have storage for croquet. The design, timber choice and finish was all down to me. Its always great to have a free hand with as much as possible.

5715705954_b2fc585ef4.jpg

5937223065_e161304716.jpg

5937775194_23d105f360.jpg

Thanks for looking! I will add some more pics before I put on the Oil and also when completed.

That is looking very nice and a quality bench - are you turning the croquet mallets to go in it??

It has an Osmo oil finish.

Its lined across each end with a hardwood ply around 2" in from the arm joint area to allow water to pass right through and there is a small 'gutter' and a sealing strip running around the open edge. There is also a fall of 10mm back to front on the seat to stop the water laying and to aid the gutters. :)

5956405993_8d514d78d1.jpg

Top looking bench.
When I first read the thread title I thought it said Crochet and was a little puzzled. Ho hum, senior deviation.

Even a drip groove under the seat front edge. Lovely work. Your grain orientation is spot on. I know it's not 'Rocket Science', but clearly you pondered over it long and well.

Beats my pine and pallet lath kind of benches! :D

John

superunknown":7390lwgs said:
Thank you Benchwayze. :)

Yes a like to think these things through to try and make the best from the timber I have. Do you have any pictures of benches?

I made a table and benches for a pal some time ago, and recently he wanted the legs beefed up to 4 x 4s. The story of my problems doing that is is elsewhere.

Almost done now and when I have tidied 18 months of weather stress, I might photograph the result! It will risk breaking the camera though, because said pal wanted a distressed 'rustic' look. To him that meant taking a length of chain and a hammer to the job. :shock:

To me that meant working quick and simple! The finished result was passable, but not what I call good work. My only other garden seat is in teak. It was given to me for the timber, but instead I repaired it. So it was only 'half-made' by me! It has a lovely weathered finish mind. :)

John :D

I think it looks great, a quality piece, I'm a little embarrassed :oops: to admit I didn't think sapele could look that nice.

=D> =D>

Davon

I do kinda agree, I feel people think of the horrible 70's Sapele doors. With a bit of selection I think its a good timber for this type of work.

This is a shot of the end panel. I don't think anybody could complain about the look of this Sapele. :)

5989970380_196564842c_z.jpg

Back