Hardwood frame for secondary glazing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend who has an old house with leaded small paned windows wants a way to stop any damage to the windows and isolate any road traffic noise.

He suggested building some hardwood frames and installing double glazing so you can see the old leaded windows through the new double glazing.

It has to be done on the exterior if possible.

There is a stone reveal and stone cill on each one.

Any suggestions? The old windows dont open so you can only work from the exterior.

I thought a hardwood? Sapele? basic rebated fixed frame, with a strip of Butyl tape at back and front of the glass. Then a hardwood beading holding the glass in with stainless cups and screws ( incase they ever need to be removed ? any views?

What happens when you get condensation on the inside & the inevitable build up of muck & mould it would be a pain to have to keep getting up a ladder/scaffold to remove them for cleaning.
I worked on a job where they had the stain glass remove & incorporated in double glazed units these were then refitted in the original frames after the rebates had been re-cut, not cheap but then nor would be building hardwood frames.

Why not removable secondary glazing fitted from the inside it will meet some of his objectives and ongoing maintenance/cleaning is easy

Secondary glazing on the inside has in my experience resulted in significant condensation on the original single glazing. The secondary glazing is good at preventing the heat from escaping but not the moist air, so the original glazing behind it is colder and suffers worse condensation.

This is an eternal conundrum for the stained glass lady I know. No simple solution. Encapsulation seems doomed to failure then what?(through breakdown of the seal) I have a love of the real thing it's just lovely and potentially lasts forever. Nothing can match it really. but it does require releading and recementing every 50 years. Maybe a ventilated glazing arrangement could work(vent top and bottom)

Secondary glazing on the inside has in my experience resulted in significant condensation on the original single glazing. The secondary glazing is good at preventing the heat from escaping but not the moist air, so the original glazing behind it is colder and suffers worse condensation.
How about double glazed secondary glazing???

I suggest using accoustic laminate glass, it is worth it for the noise reduction.
Your suggested method would certainly work.
I would however not use butyl tape but rather something like an EPDM rubber gasket or a Schlegel aquamac type seal. These can both seal without sticking to the glass rather relying on slight compression so for maintainance you can just remove the bead and take the glass out. I have made a few like this though they were internal.

Ollie

Back