hardwood decking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryc

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of using using balau hardwood for decking, there does not seem to be much information about this material has anybody got any experience with this wood for use in decking.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi
I haven't used it myself but my timber merchant sells 'Yellow Balau' specifically for decking, they believe it's very good and they do seem to know what they are talking about. They are www.morgans.ie but they have no information on the website. :(

Entering 'Balau' onto Google gives a lot of results... just glancing at one or two seems to confirm its suitability for decking... http://www.ebarito.com/species-web/yell ... _balau.htm

Cheers
Joe

I used it on this deck that I did about 4yrs ago. Not sure why they refer to it as yellow, seems quite red to me and weathers to a silver gray as you can see in the last pic which had about 18 months of weathering.

Its an oily wood which is obviously why its used for decking.

JAson

Done a bit of research on some of the American websites where Ipe seems to be very popular and I like the sound of using hidden clips for holding down the deck boards.
Do you guys think its worth the extra cost and time with a biscuit jointer! for the flush look.

Cheers

Harry

I used Balau on my deck, a thread exists on this forum

I am very happy with it, but if I did it again id use IPE.

Back