Hardness of Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Am getting some ideas together for another plane and was looking at finding something hard for the sole. Came across this scale of hardness which I found quite interesting. A bit more Googling on the topic revealed other sites with lots of info on timber hardness. Lignum vitae is the hardest and balsa the softest, with everything else in between - Rob

Rob, surprised that Sapele is harder than hard maple, I wonder where UK Beech would come.

I have been fortunate to receive some Rosewood ( bubinga ) from Australia and it feels harder than steel.
I was told that when the timber is used as fence posting it is safe from termite attack for up to 30 years. I wouldn't like to have to bang a nail in, the nail would definitely bend.

I intend using it on my latest box idea but I think I might have to send the box back to Oz. to have the surface sanded or planed up. :roll:

Rob
The one missing here is the one I have lots of :p

GREENHEART

Bloody hard is all I can say and about the same density as Lignum Vitae,
It does not float. Perfect for planes I would say.

You can have as much as you want if you are passing this way! (in plane sized quantities I mean!)
Cheers
Martin

Martin - I've done a bit of Googling and on a different site Greenheart has a value of 2350 which puts it well within the top 25% of that table, so yes it's very hard and tough....PM sent - Rob

How do you work with that sort of stuff?
I assume trying to sand the stuff the abrasive wears out first before you have got to the finish you want.

Rob, I have some quite thickish rosewood fretboard blanks which would make an ideal plane sole, I have a couple of pieces left if you want them. I can confirm they are indeed ruddy hard!

But remember,greenheart splinters are toxic,so likely to go septic very quickly :shock:

Andrew

Back