Hardest Job Ever

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all

Just finished the hardest job ever , not because of the material , not because of the design , but what is is ....A week ago my father inlaw passed away unexpectantly . He was only 63 and fine .

I was asked to make him a cremation box and I was only to happy too as I had made him many things over the years and to me this was my final piece for him . I wanted to make the best I could and used a combination of American Black Walnut and Spalter Beech as requested . The design was the hardest as to do him justice as he loved dark wood . It felt so unreal making something so final , knowing that I will never make another piece for him .

And before you ask , where the pictures are , there are none as I dont feel appropriate to show them . I know it sounds corny but it is something for me , him and his daughter .

And now I have finished it , polished it and ready for presentation on the day of his ceremony or rememberance , not memorial . And now I feel a sort of lost-ness about me and dont look forward to seeing it next time as it will be his home by then .

Sorry for being glum but it just goes to show that you never know what is around the corner !

cheers Dusty

Hard times my friend, I get where you're coming from.
Well done though for stepping up to the plate and seeing through one last job for him, I'm sure all appreciate what you have done.
Keep your chin up and don't worry about sounding glum, sometimes we all need a little outlet.

Lost my Dad 4 years ago - I wanted to make the coffin but it was felt it was not a good idea. Bluddy family politics. I am sure you did him proud. Well done.

Sorry for your loss.

Caz

Dusty,

Sorry for your trouble; it sounds like you've done your best by a good bloke, nothing better a pal could do.

Kev.

That is a hard thing to do. I lost my mum this week. She is being cremated then placed in my dad's family plot (He still being with us!). Dealing with all the paperwork has been a bloody slog; I wouldn't have even considered making a coffin or casket too. Hats off to you.

I hope the rememberance is a happy/sad time in equal measure.

H.

Latest posts

Back