Hard-boarding over floor boards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ateallthepies

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help with a question on hard-boarding an iffy floor that I have to do tomorrow?

I have been reading up on the web and it seems the general consensus is that the boards need to be laid shiny side down.
The things I am un-sure of is that many recommend wetting the boards first then some say lay them wet and others say wait till dry then lay?

Also what fixings should be used?

I would like to use my air stapler with 20mm staples as this would be mega quick but people are recommending ring shank 20mm nails?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Steve.

I just lay it shiney side up and use 20mm ring shank nails done it loads of times never had a problem. I have heard about wetting the boards but never done it. I once used my air stapler which fires narrow crown staples and it was a quick job but I had to go back with ring shanks as nearly every staple had gone almost all the way through :oops: I have no depth adjustment apart from lowering the pressure which is a bit hit and miss.

Thanks.

I believe my stapler has a depth control so being able to use it would be great. I am a bit paranoid about floors and nails since I used my 16 gauge paslode to 'fix' a couple of loose boards down a while ago. Didn't take them long to work themselves up through the carpet :shock: and another learn the hard way lesson!!! :(

Steve.

Used to do it with hardboard, wetted first, now only do it with ply. Always with ring shanks.
All the best
Rob

Latest posts

Back