Hanging heavy gates without gap to wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mono

Reaction score
Hi all,

About to build pair of large driveway gates to be hung to the centre of a brick pier. Originally I was going to use plated-hook and band hinges but the client wants total privacy (lots of expensive cars) and doesn't want the approx 60mm gap btween stile and pier.

An additional post to attach the gates to is too fussy and not desired.

Any suggestions anyone?

By the way, why don't gate-hinge suppliers provide tech dwgs online I wonder? Hard when designing without these crucial measurements!

John (mono)

I just done exactly this on my gates to a pier.

I used a 4x2 wall plate uni-bolted to the pier then used "estate pattern band" hinges

(like ring and pin, but allow the gates to hand flush).

hinges are drilled through with coach bolts bolted through.
Bolts can be bured off for security, hinges are hung with top ones upside down to stop "lifting".

http://www.hinges.co.uk/family.ASP?sect ... family=166

pins are screwed to the back face of the wall-plate, allowing flush fitting all round.

hope this helps

Steve

Can the gate not be hung behind the pillar, instead of between the pillar

In this case there will be no gap!! and the opening is also wider

Thanks Steve,

The only heavy duty pins on plates I can find seem to have too much of a peekaboo gap which disturbs my security-conscious client but I'll talk him round I'm sure - prob end up putting some black rubber up or summat.

As for hinging to rear of pier McLuma, thanks but has to align with other elements (fence panels) and has to be in centre of pier.

Cheers

mono":1l45vbre said:
Thanks Steve,

The only heavy duty pins on plates I can find seem to have too much of a peekaboo gap which disturbs my security-conscious client but I'll talk him round I'm sure - prob end up putting some black rubber up or summat.

As for hinging to rear of pier McLuma, thanks but has to align with other elements (fence panels) and has to be in centre of pier.

Cheers

If you mount the pins on the back of the wall plate, then use the hinges I linked to you`ll have no gap at all. Its possible to mount the gates flush to the wall plate and even fit a jam on the outside if you REALLY want to.

I found some pins welded onto plates that were only a fraction smaller than the 2" wall plate I used.
If I can ever work out how to post pictures I`ll give it a try tonight, its much easier than I`ve made it sound.

Steve

Gotcha steve. thanks!

I had trouble with pics recently too. I signed up to photo bucket which allows you to easily upload pics. Then, under each pic is a button called IMG code. Click on this and it automatically copies to clipboard. Then just paste into your forum message. Voila!

thanks for your efforts

John

Ok so the gates have to be inbetween the pier, no problem

why not incase the hinges with a box, from top to bottom, which will meet the pier then your cap has gone, do use plastic or rubber, that will look cheap

Sorry to resurect a very old post but by any chance does someone has an example of how 'closed' the gap would by using the estate hinges?

Why not use four of the heavy duty stainless bearing hinges on each gate. They are pretty strong hinges as they hang bank doors on them. (and they are heavy) I have used them on garage doors before and they are rebated as a normal hinge so no gap. Just my thoughts. :wink:

Latest posts

Back